Harry Cat (2004-2007)

For help and support with the passing of a pet. Sometimes we feel very alone. We're not alone.
LisainCAN

Harry Cat (2004-2007)

Post by LisainCAN »

My heart is broken. I found Harry Cat dead today. He was my tailless Maine Coon and the reason I joined HandicappedPets in the first place. I became an expert on Manx Sydrome because of him. He fought so hard as a baby and he never gave up.

I am not sure why he died. He was in the enclosed "Cat Sanctuary" on the second floor of the barn (about 1000 sq. ft.). I found him on his side, sort of under the heat lamp, but on some hay and not on the blankets/beds I have set up.

I went and checked on the cats on Saturday at midnight and they were all jumping around and playing in the hay, including Harry. Yesterday I was having false contractions so I rested and didn't get to the barn. The cats have tons of water bowls (heated) and free choice food so I knew they were okay. I guess Harry wasn't.

I will forever berate myself for not going to the barn yesterday. I will forever hate myself for not keeping him in the house. I have 10 in the house who are sickly and dying that I am committed to and I am pregnant and alone while my husband is in the hospital and I am not even supposed to have any cats in the house so I compromised and made the "Cat Sanctuary" last October, in consultation with my vet. Only the healthiest and most stable cats are allowed to live there. I thought Harry was one of them. All our cats are rescues who would be dead if we hadn't taken them, including Harry, but I still feel bad.

My vet is going to do a necropsy because he does not understand why Harry just died like that. The vet also wants to set my mind at ease I think because he knows how hard I take these things.

This has been a bad year. Everything seems to be beyond my control.

RIP Harry Cat. You are a champion, a lover, a fur-angel. I may not have done right by you (since you died), but no one could ever fault the love I feel for you. I stood by you when ALL vets tried to tell me you were hopeless. I watched you triumph and laugh at them all. I loved your big goofy body and your tailless little bum.

I am sorry little buddy. I hope you forgive me.
BethT

Re: Harry Cat (2004-2007)

Post by BethT »

Oh Lisa, I am so, so sorry about Harry Cat. You have been through so much this year. Please, please try not to blame yourself. You are such an amazing care giver to all these needy animals that would not be experiencing life at all if not for you. Even if you had been out there yesterday Harry Cat may have been fine at that time. It certainly sounds like it was very sudden. I have read that the most common cause of sudden death in cats is cardiomyopathy. If that was the case then there was nothing that you could have done. I know how hard it is to lose an animal. I still get upset when I think of my little cat Speck who died this past summer after her amputation surgery and presently I am taking care of a cat in the end stages of heart failure. It is gut wrenching. Please know that I am thinking of you and am crying for Harry Cat tonight. Take care. Beth
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

Maine Coons have a genetic tendency towards heart disease. there is actually a genetic screen for breeders to make sure they don't pass it on.
If a cat is homozygous for it (has it on both sets of chromosomes) then they usually pass away before the age of four. I can't help but wonder if Harry had this.

Because of you Harry had three happy years of love, three more than anyone else would have given him.

It isn't always possible to tell when something is about to go very wrong. He was happy and playing when you saw him. We would have thought the same thing 'all is well.'

Harry knows you love him, that is the most important thing.

headbonks and purrrrrgles

bendy kitty
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

I also wanted to say that your cat sanctuary sounds like a great thing!

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
Barbara Boehmer

Post by Barbara Boehmer »

Sorry to hear about Harry Cat. I've never had a Maine Coon, although I have had Manxes, but it sounds like he might have had a heart problem and there was nothing you could have done. At least you gave him three good years. Being all by yourself and pregnant and taking care of other cats in the middle of winter, it is amazing that you do as much as you do. Your sanctuary sounds marvelous. My outdoor enclosure, accessible through the back kitty door, is 540 square feet, so yours much be huge.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Aw, Lisa, you've been pulled so many ways this year it's a wonder you've done all that you did. Poor little Buddy's heart went 2 weeks ago at age 3; I would've moved heaven and earth for him, as I know you would've for Harry.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Dear Harry Cat. You have had the best family in the world, HarryCat. I know your mama misses you so much and it hurts. Please know we will comfort her and hold her hand for you.
Tears today.
I am so very sorry Lisa. So sorry for your loss.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

I got the results of the post-mortem today. Harry had cardiomyopathy. As the vet said, "he didn't feel a thing." He just died, maybe even in mid-step. I feel better but I still really miss my fuzzy butt.

Thanks everyone,
Lisa.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Dear Lisa,

He lived knowing he was loved beyond all love and it sounds as though he was taken gently to the Bridge in the same loving way. I feel your pain and I pray that it lessens and the that the guilt you expressed that first day disappears as it is totally unjustified - you gave more than you even had. Take good care of yourself.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Lisa,

I am so very sorry about Harry Cat.

Chrsitine is right that we all hope that you are taking time to care for yourself, too. You seem to give so much to everyone else, that you need to care for yourself and rest.

D