Athritis?

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
Tiffany

Athritis?

Post by Tiffany »

Hello
Thanks to everyone who posted replies to my Questions about Eros over the weekend unfortunately things have been so crazy I didn't even get a chance to look at them yet. Eros ended up going to the Emergency room on saturday morning and a few bags of IV fluids an overniight stay and $1000 later his diarreah is gone he is totally normal in that respect but now theres another problem, He wont put any weight on his right front paw at all it started out Tuesday night as a slight limp and wend. morning he will only put weight on it very carefully to walk up the three steps to get in our front door. This is the leg that had the external fixator on it when he got hit and it hasn't really been this cold since he's been recovered so I'm thinking maybe the cold weather combined with limited activity at the hospital could be making it sore or maybe athritis? I have no money to take him to the vet and am hoping to find something I can give to him for the pain until I can afford a vet. I have heard that buffered aspirin can be good for dogs in pain but I have no idea how much to give him or if he can take it with his antibiotic they gave him at the hospital I'm waiting for the vet to call me back about that, Any other Ideas or info would be greatly appreciated. This is kind of a big problem as this is his best leg and it makes it very hard for him to walk, although he is still walking and behaving normally.
Thank you oh wise ones=-)
Eros & Tiffany
Eros & Tiffany
Never lose hope, Miracles happen all the time!
ems736336

Re: Athritis?

Post by ems736336 »

PLEASE NOTE: Always consult your veterinarian for advice before you administer any and all medications to your pet.

The following information is taken from Dodger's List files.

Human Medications in Canine Sizes

The following common human household products can be used on a dog in an emergency situation if you are unable to contact a veterinarian. You may also want to add a few of the items below to your canine first aid kit in case you are away from your home when an emergency occurs. Take note, many of the items have a weight specification and dosage recommendation. This information is not intended as a complete guide on how to use human medications on dogs, nor should it be used instead of seeking veterinarian help.

All information below was gathered from the "Doctors Book of Home Remedies for Dogs and Cats" and from various other sources.

Antihistamines: Benadryl, Sominex, and Waldryl are best. Used for relief of allergies, insect bites, and itching. DO NOT USE FOR SNAKE BITES. 2 mg per pound of dog every 8-12 hours.

Antibiotic Ointments: Neosporin, Bacitracin, Panolog, Bactoderm are best. Used to protect wounds, fight infection, kill bacteria, and speed healing. Use as much as needed. After you apply any ointment, keep an eye on your pup to make sure he or she doesn’t lick it off. If needed, loosely wrap the area. Aloe Vera: Used to treat burns, including sunburns, hot spots, and acne.

Buffered Aspirin: Ascriptin, Bufferin and Ecotrin are best. Do not use Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen, Tylenol, or Naproxen Sodium, they are harmful to dogs. READ THE LABEL. Used as a fever and pain reducer and as an anti-inflammatory. 325 mg per 50 lbs. of dog every 12 hours. Have the dog take it with food if possible. NOTE: Normal dog temperature is 100.5-102.5 degrees Fahrenheit.

Cough medicines: Products with dextromethorphan as an active ingredient like Robitussin Maximum Strength Cough Syrup are best. BECAREFUL to use cough medicine with only dextromethorphan as the active ingredient. Not those containing other drugs, like aspirin or acetaminophen, which may be harmful to dogs.

Dramamine: Used to relieve motion sickness. Large dogs can have up to 50 mg and small dogs up to 12 and 1/2 mg. Best if given about an hour before traveling.

Electrolytes: Gatorade, Power Aid and Pedialyte are best. Used to treat dehydration. Allow the dog to drink as much as they want, but not too quickly. Licking ice cubes is also a good way to treat dehydration.

Flour: Can be used as a coagulant in case you slip when trimming nails or for cuts and scratches. Use enough to stop the bleeding.

Hydrogen Peroxide 3%: Used to induce vomiting, clean wounds, clean ears, and de-skunk a dog. If you are sure your dog has ingested something lethal, induce vomiting by giving 1 tablespoon per 10 lbs. of dog once or twice. Do not exceed two doses, as it can be harmful to your pup. DO NOT use ipecac syrup for vomiting, it is toxic to pets.

To remove skunk spray, mix 1 teaspoon liquid soap and 1/4 cup baking soda in one quart of hydrogen peroxide. Rub into dog’s fur then rinse.

Honey: Used to treat heat exhaustion or in case of prolonged stress and or seizures. Sugar cubes and Karo syrup are also good.

Pepto Bismal: Used to stop and give relief of vomiting, diarrhea and or upset stomach. For Pepto use 1 teaspoon per 20lbs. of dog every 4-6 hours.

Massengill douche: Also a good skunk odor remover.

Metamucil: Used for constipation. For small dogs use 1/2 a teaspoon a couple times a day, and for large dogs use up to 2 teaspoons twice a day.

Mineral Oil: Used for constipation and ear mite relief. Give your canine buddy up to 4 tablespoons a day for constipation. To combat ear mites, once a day heat some oil until it’s warm to the touch. Then put a couple of drops in the ear canal. Repeat for at least one month. Olive oil mixed with garlic can also be used as an ear mite remedy. Crush a few garlic cloves and let them soak in olive oil overnight. Then, remove the garlic, heat the oil until it’s warm to
the touch and, as with the mineral oil, place a couple drops in your dog’s ear canal. Repeat about every other day or so, for at least one month.

Oat bran and Canned Pumpkin: Also for constipation relief. Add a teaspoon or two of either to your dogs food everyday until bowel movements are regular again.

Saline: Used to sterilize tools, hands, cuts, bandages, etc. Also, saline can be used to wash out dog’s eyes and mouths if needed.

Tea/Tannic acid: Used to speed heeling and sooth hot spots. A strong black or green tea works best. Once it is brewed and cooled down, apply it to the infected area.

Vitamins: Just like in humans, various vitamins may be beneficial to your canine buddy. Vitamin B can be used as an appetite stimulant. 1/2 to 2ml given every 24 hrs. should do it. Vitamin C and E can be useful to pets with asthma and or heart problems. Seek advise from your veterinarian about how and how much to give. Vitamin E, also works well on hot spots. Apply vitamin E gel directly to the irritated area a few times a week.

Witch Hazel: Used to treat burns, especially sunburn. Soak a cotton ball or bit of gauze in this cooling liquid and apply it to the damaged area several times a day.

Ethel S.
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Remember too..it isn't just "if" you can give a med, and in what amount, but also how it mixes with other meds you are giving.

For instance...giving asprin with steriods can lead to a terrible and sometimes deadly gastric bleed.

As ems posted....ALWAYS check with your vet
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

thanks for that list I printed it out and put it in my medicine cabinet.
My dog also has severe Arthritis, I use yucca powder and a salmon oil pill and so far so good, the intense pain is gone.
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
Tiffany

Post by Tiffany »

Thanks all for your replies He is going to be seen by one of his old vets as a favor this weekend and she will let me know about the meds, Thats one of the reasons why I didn't just follow the directions on the label is I didn't know how it would mix with his antibiotic and that list is very helpful, is it on the wiki? it should be. Once again thanks all for your replies.
Eros & Tiffany
Eros & Tiffany
Never lose hope, Miracles happen all the time!
Christine

Post by Christine »

Would you give me more information about the yucca powder, how much your dog weighs, how much you give, etc.? I give Bailey a fish oil pill each day, but never heard about the yucca powder. Thanks.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Gold-75%25-Pu ... B0002YFBFS

This has anise in it, my dog doesn't like it, so I hide it by pouring some of that VITA gravy over there.
I also have a magnetic bed for him
http://magnamat.com/

Let me know if these links work for you.
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
Christine

Post by Christine »

They work...thanks!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08