subluxating patellas on 10yr old maltese

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
pamelarn

subluxating patellas on 10yr old maltese

Post by pamelarn »

I have a 10 year old Maltese/mix who weighs 4lbs. She used to be quite the rocket but was just diagnosed with subluxating patellas. She had become knock kneed over night. On a good day her mobility is about 80% on a bad day 50%. My vet and I are both "ify" on surgery due to her age and she also has an "inch worm" type back and may have the start of some neuro problems. Do you think a cart would be helpful for her and delay further degeneration or exacerate more back problems? I'm hoping it might help a little of her depression. Are there carts out there that allow dogs to still pee and poop on their own? Her front body strength is excellent as are all her internal workings. Thanks!
critters
Founding Member

Re: subluxating patellas on 10yr old maltese

Post by critters »

:strobe: Sorry, I forgot to come back yesterday. :oops:

It's typical that critters can poop and pee while in a cart. If you're worried about other joints, possibly arthritis, you could always get your baby a quad (4-wheeled) cart. A cart for a 4 pounder would be SO tiny!! :)