Help needed Rear Leg paralysis.

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
marie

Help needed Rear Leg paralysis.

Post by marie »

I have been looking at Carts and clueless as to which to pick. I need help in this decision
Simba supposedly has hip displaysia.Started with a swelling on his side then gradual loss of mobility. Last week he has stopped walking and drags himself using his front legs. He seems to still have strength in his upper half and is alert, doesnt see to be in pain other than the cuts he has from draggin himself. He still makes an effort to go outside to toilet. I use a support handle to help him..
Was given the option of him being PTS or PTS..that was it. He is taking prednisone 20mgs..Vet said there is nithing else?..

He now can no longer use those back legs at all they just go in every direction nor can he support himself up at all..
Rather than getting him PTS I decided to look into carts...
I have a set of stairs going outside so he would use the cart outdoors. I would like a cart which is easy on/off as I too have arthrities.
Simba is a rhodesian ridgeback and overweight. He is not big in height and approx 80pounds..and 10yrs old.
Any suggestions I would appreciate also what meds are usually given? to dogs with no mobility in the rear?... All he has had is previcox and now Prednisone.
thanks Marie
millieharsha

Re: Help needed Rear Leg paralysis.

Post by millieharsha »

did vet say what caused the paralysis? I have heard carts are very good but haven't had to use one, I hope things get better for both of you.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

The symptoms (except the swelling) sound like degenerative myelopathy and the breed makes it much more so, as Ridgebacks are prone to DM. You can do a genetic test to see if he is At Risk for DM

http://www.offa.org/dnatesting/

and if other things are ruled out that's likely what his problem is. No meds will help but it is painless.

A cart is a good idea. Since DM progresses to the front limbs, having a cart that has front leg support would mean you could use the cart longer, but if you can only use it as long as you can get him up the stairs, that might not matter. You may want to join the DM support group at http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/dege ... pathylist/
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi marie,

Did the vet say what the swelling on the side was? Does he still have the swelling or did it go away? Did it appear suddenly or did it take a few weeks or months to develop?

:slant:
SandyNY

Post by SandyNY »

here is an article on DM thatmay have some useful information for you.
so sorry to hear this has come up for you and your dog.
quality of life is a tough issue - especially when the pet owner sees the quality and the vet refuses to. read up on what you can. sometimes you can email or call a college or center for treatment that is not accessible to you and they can offer some advice or pointers.

http://neuro.vetmed.ufl.edu/neuro/DM_Web/DMofGS.htm
justme

Post by justme »

marie wrote:I have been looking at Carts and clueless as to which to pick.
I am also looking into getting a cart. I'm looking at all the options and this site seems to give a good description of what each cart is used for. http://www.eddieswheels.com/ For myself, I'm looking more towards a cart that at first will help her walk and then eventually be able to hold her legs back off the ground when she can no longer walk.

I would also look for another vet who can be of help in your decision to keep your pet.
justme

Post by justme »

Oh, and this page is good too. It lists different companies and shows the type they offer.

Some you back your dog into, come you lift them into, some have belly bands, etc.

http://handicappedpets.biz/www/pet-heal ... anies.html

Good luck.
marie

Post by marie »

My vet is garbage he said it was Hip Displasia which...never sounded right to me...He had a swelling on his right rump...then his legs just got worse and worse...he has never showed signs of pain he told me prednisone and tramadol...thats it...today I called the office and said my dog has degenmyelopathy....message is take him to a nuerologist as there is nothing he can do...keep with the prednisone...thats it...I have stopped the pred on/off the vet would have had him on it solid since january...Simba started with the swelling around March and has become totally back leg useless about 2 weeks ago...
have read a little from the links and info you guys offered and I am very sure he has DM...However I have found a cart going to pick up this evening...I am not giving up on this boy he is FINE from the waist up.
This is all new to me so excuse If i ramble...and jump from topic to topic...answering some questions...the lump/swelling I think it appeared slowly..got pretty big but has subsided now...he had for months tho..yes I will take my dogs to the place I am going to pick up the cart a training hospital...as my vet is good for routine stuff...maybe even not...I have 4 great danes, ridgeback, and a cocker...all but one are seniors...the Danes are 9 and 11 and 2yrs...the ridgeback 10-11 and the cocker 14

what I need to know now is

what meds if any you guys give your dogs...suppliments and suggested food. I need to know what YOU guys do for your DM dog...not what y vet says which is a big fat nothing anyway...
marie

Post by marie »

I give him Chicken soup for the Soul dry...mixed with boiled chicken
suppliments:
esterC....fish oil caps....coenzyme10....liquid glucosamine.....grandHASynergy (msm, chlodrointin,glucosamine for horses and dogs)...Nyzemes....probotics.....oxedrops... and just put centrum silver tablet in his food

anything I am missing?
thanks Marie