FHO Surgery on Kitten

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
camp52403

FHO Surgery on Kitten

Post by camp52403 »

My kitten, Nacho, is about 11 months old and just went through and FHO on Monday, June 1st.

I was told by the vet that I should help him excercise his leg, but I am not sure when to start. I have tried in the last couple of days, but it seems that I am just causing him more pain.

Are there any recommendations?

Thanks!
critters
Founding Member

Re: FHO Surgery on Kitten

Post by critters »

:red: I'd ask the surgeon; nobody here's ever gone through it.
Diana R.

Post by Diana R. »

My cat Raven had an FHO and sx to repair a luxating patella on the same leg back in 2004. Like Critters said first thing I would do is call the ortho surgeon and let him know. According to the PROM instructions that I received from the vet, "a minor degree of discomfort is anticipated during the initial PT sessions. PROM should be pushed to the level of minor pt. discomfort. Pushing PROM beyond this point is harmful to the pt. and the healing tissues and is not advised. A compress of chipped ice, ice cubes or other ice pack helps to reduce swelling and should be applied following each PROM PT session for 3 to 5 minutes. . . . PROM is most effective and important for postop recovery, during the initial 10 to 14 days following sx. After that PROM PT sessions can be tapered to once a day or stopped completely depending on the situation and individual pt. recovery. Inflammation is usually the worst during the first 2 to 3 days following sx. If there is a time when the pt. is acutely sore or hurts contact the vet. Sharp yelps or cries and change in usage of a limb are indications of potential problems." This was given to me by the ortho surgeon and comes from the Companion Animal Sports Medicine and Trauma Center. Diana
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I have no experience with kitten FHO but my puppy had an FHO and was sent home with torbugesic liquid for pain. She was still having breakthrough pain in spite of the torbugesic, making it hard to do her PT at home so they switched her to tramadol and that did the trick. I do not know what kind of pain meds can be used with an 11-month old kitten but you might ask.

:pastel:
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

Diana R. wrote:According to the PROM instructions that I received from the vet, "a minor degree of discomfort is anticipated during the initial PT sessions. PROM should be pushed to the level of minor pt. discomfort.
Diana, I have a few special-needs cats and am always up for learning more about the challenges that face some cats. What is PROM? Maybe it is some FHO shorthand :?

Camp,

:welcome:

Nacho sounds like a special kitten. What made him need the FHO?
FYI

Post by FYI »

Diana R.

Post by Diana R. »

Regarding medication for pain, although I assume the surgeon gave you pain meds, Raven was on metacam---both for her FHO in 7/04 and when I got her from the shelter in 9/03 as a 7 month old kitten after she damaged the nerves in the brachial plexus from trying to pull her front limb out of the cage door. Metacam is technically for dogs only but it is a nonsteriodal anti-inflammatory that is used to control pain. Diana

PROM = Passive Range of Motion