HIND LEG BRACES

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
SheepdawgLady

HIND LEG BRACES

Post by SheepdawgLady »

I am asking for help with my 12 year old male, Willie, an Old English Sheepdog. He is my mama's boy. My gentle giant. He weights 85 pounds. He is the child that God blessed me with. He is my only family. Willie is also a retired certified pet theraphy dog. I am very unemployed and would like to make his time left with me as comfortable as possible. He is very healthy except for serious arthritis in his hips. I also help him expel his urine. I would love to be able to afford to buy him hind leg braces to make his getting around easier, but being very unemployed, I can not. We can't go for walks any more which he truly misses. He is still very alert, great appetite, hearing, sight, strong heart. Except for his hind legs giving out. I guess I am looking to see if there is someplace that has donated braces or even wheelchairs to help those who need. I am faced with helping him cross over to the Rainbow Bridge because I can not afford to help him any other way.I am 55 years old and finding it very tough to find employment. I don't know where else or what to do. I have failed the greatest gift I have been blessed.
critters
Founding Member

Re: HIND LEG BRACES

Post by critters »

:group: Hip braces/splints may be a problem, but a wheelchair (cart) may be obtainable. You should read the info on the financial board carefully for suggestions.
SheepdawgLady

Post by SheepdawgLady »

Thank you!!!!!!
Diana R.

Post by Diana R. »

Hi,

Was Willie a certified therapy dog through the Delta Society? Were you his pet partner? I am wondering if you could contact them and see if they know of anything or have any assistance available after all Willie has done. I have 2 registered therapy animals through Delta Sociey/American Humane Animal Assisted Therapy in Colorado. Are you able to afford medication for him. I was even thinking of supplments like glucosamine/chondrotin. I know when my pitbull mix Quincy who passed in 2002 had his knees give out (he had torn cruciate at around 12 years old) the vet did not recommend surgery because of his age but he was put on Cosequin, which is the doggie version of glucosamine/chondrotin and rimadyl and it helped tremendously. Diana