NEED ADVICE- kitten with twisted legs- PLEASE HELP!

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
SavingOliver

NEED ADVICE- kitten with twisted legs- PLEASE HELP!

Post by SavingOliver »

Hello,

I am currently fostering an 8 week old kitten with "twisted legs." I will try to attach a picture. He is a wonderful, healthy, sweetheart kitten with a physical handicap he barely notices at this point in his life. He's actually faster than I am! But I have been told that he cannot grow up with his legs the way they are so I am looking for advice on what to do. The vet says that she cannot splint his legs to straighten them out because they barely move past a right angle. There is the option of double amputation with permanent prosthetics which might be ideal but there is the complication of him growing and cost is an issue. I welcome all advice no matter the cost because I would like to weigh all options and try to raise the money, but just note that it is a concern for a shelter cat. I just emailed a removable prosthetic leg online site and they said that they could not accommodate him because of how much of the leg would need to be removed and the resulting stubs would not hold their product.

So I just don't know what to do.

Can he live happily like he is?

Is there any way to actually correct his legs somehow by splinting or otherwise?

Can they be amputated and he walk on the stumps? (with booties maybe for comfort?)

Is there any type of removable prosthetic that would work given amputation?

Does anyone know about permanent prosthetics with amputation? (cost, success rate, quality of life)

Are there any other ideas out there that I should consider?

Whatever ideas come up, should they be done immediately, in a few months, when he is full grown?

He is a shelter cat and there has been talk of giving up on him, but I WILL NOT let that happen. He is one of the happiest, friendliest kittens I have ever encountered and I know he'll bounce right back from whatever treatment he endures.

PLEASE HELP!

THANKS!!
Attachments
100_1398-2.JPG
Diana R.

Re: NEED ADVICE- kitten with twisted legs- PLEASE HELP!

Post by Diana R. »

When I saw your little boy I thought that's Rupert! My cat Rupert who is at least 7 years old has the same deformity where his legs twist inward and he walks on his knees and hocks. He looks like a crab walking. And yes Oliver can grow up with those deformities. I also got Rupert from our county shelter where I volunteered in 2004. He was in the feral cat room and a volunteer who was helping clean the kennels with me questioned what they were going to do with the cat with the funky legs. I toldher I had a couple cats with funky legs and I said I would be interested in taking him. Despite my willingness to pay the adoption fee the kennel manager said after thinking about it for a second that he would be "humanely" euthanized. The other volunteer called the interim director and the kennel manager relented and said I could have the cat. He was not feral either but quite friendly and he is a wonderful cat. I had him seen by an ortho surgeon and he asked me if he was able to get around and using the litter box and I said yes. He recommended doing nothing. You do not need to do anything for Oliver; he will be fine---just consider adopting him. Diana
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: He's a bent baby indeed! I, too, would take him and work on problems if and when they develop as he grows.
mumpkees

Post by mumpkees »

He is the cutest little boy! And he will do just fine with very few modifications to your home. As you have seen by the posts so far, there is no reason to even consider euthanasia. Both kittens are doing well and much can improve once they are out of a shelter environment, are being fed a healthy diet and are being showered with love.

Please check your private messages. /mari
/mari
Spiritcat and the Mooseheart Mumpkees of southeastern Texas
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

From Jan, a megamulti handicapper parent:

Utterly adorable, and good advice in regards to not going overboard with procedures, but letting Oliver adapt to his condition. One thing I would do is use care with him jumping until he has more muscle tone, and watch for abrasions on his legs. If he does climb around like any kitten will, pad the crash zone under him if possible to prevent damage when landing.

My Georgie was born with more severely crippled up hind legs, and went thru surgery in the hopes of correcting them, but being about 6 months when I got him, his bones weren't as maleable as they were when he was tiny. Luckily his legs reverted back to the same degree of 'pretzelness' and though they are useless to him, he does have one pawpad that drags along behind him. At least his paw faces the floor. I attached two pics of him, one prior to his failed surgery, and the other of him sitting on his condo roof. He has adapted very well, and I'm sure Oliver can and will adapt as well.
Beth

Post by Beth »

I have adopted a twisted legs kitten as well. All 4 of his legs were affected. I have had him for a couple months not and by simply working with him, making him reach for toys and such he now only has 2 feet affected. Both right side. He has made amazing progress. He is at his best now and will not get any better. The babies needed to be splinted at birth, within a day or 2. By the time you got him, as with mine, it was too late as they have permanently atrophied. Niko, my kitten, is amazing. Nothing stops him. He gets around perfectly and it does not affect him in the slightest. I would strongly advise against amputation. They do not need it. They are in no pain and adapt very well. No need to put him through so much pain. He will adapt. Just give him time. Good luck, and thank you for caring so much to take him in :)))
Animals are little people in fur coats.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Hi Beth!

We love pictures! Hope you will stick around. You are our kind of people! :welcomeheart:
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

I was splinted at six weeks (that is myne picture there as my avatar) and wore my braces for about two months. my front legs are beautiful and straight now.

Niko sounds like our kind of cat. Welcome aboard!!!

Bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
Beth

Post by Beth »

One other word of advice. My Niko will not use a litter box as he does not like the feel of the litter on the part of his legs he walks on. I have tried several different brands and still no go. Not a problem though. He, himself decided he like to go on paper. He picked his spot in the back room himself. I laid paper down and he always goes on it now. Just as easy to change paper, if not easier, than to scoop kitty litter ;) So if your little guy does not like the "feel" of litter, give the paper a shot.
Animals are little people in fur coats.