Pelvis and spine fracture when run over by a truck

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
jennyandmaggie

Pelvis and spine fracture when run over by a truck

Post by jennyandmaggie »

My sweet baby JRT was run over on Tuesday night. This is the first place I found and has helped to keep me as positive as I can be these past few days. I am documenting her journey... http://maggiesroadtorecovery.blogspot.com/

Please visit and take a look. I would love some feedback, words of encouragement, etc. I know the first post is massively long, but you don't have to read it all if you don't want. I look forward to getting to know you all and develop a system of support throughout the journey I have ahead of me.

Thanks everyone,
Jenny
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Pelvis and spine fracture when run over by a truck

Post by Bobbie »

It sounds like your dog lucked out! And survived an accident that could easily have been fatal.

If your pup does end up in a cart- or needs one for rehab- that's no big deal. Lots of dogs lead very happy lives in carts. It sounds as if she might manage without one but keep it in mind- it can help with relearning to walk and also helps on longer walks and helps prevent muscle soreness from funky walking. You might get one and end up using it only for a few months as it helps her retrain her muscles.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Christine

Post by Christine »

:welcomepink: I was thinking the same thing. Such a tiny little thing being run over by that massive truck. The fact that she is continent (and I am sure your vet will keep an eye on that to make sure that she is fully emptying her bladder) and is trying to walk is just amazing. His advice about keeping her on crate rest will be crucial to her full recovery and may be the most difficult thing for you since she is so spirited. Wishing you and your family all the best - it sounds like you have a wonderful vet and you all are doing a great job right at the beginning. There is lots of great information here to help you in this journey (check under the Paraysis category for some wonderful suggestions for her crate rest). Come back and ask questions or just share little victories - we all care about those! Your blog will be helpful to you and others.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
jennyandmaggie

Post by jennyandmaggie »

Thank ya'll so much! I'm not necessarily against the cart, I am just hoping she won't need it! If that will be the best option for her, I won't mind at all. The way she is so unstable now, I know she will have so much fun with it, if it comes to that. We will go back to the vet Wednesday or Thursday of next week and talk to him about the option of surgery or not. Thank you Christine for your positive words. And thanks for subscribing!