paralysis and walking

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
jennyandmaggie

paralysis and walking

Post by jennyandmaggie »

I posted just a day ago about my JRT being run over by a truck. My blog about it is posted below, if you want to check it out.

My question is: Her right leg isn't fully paralyzed, because she can pick it up and move it a little. But her foot has no sensation and it folds over when she tries to walk. If it stays that way, what do you all think her chances are of walking again with no help? I just don't want to do a $5,000 surgery on her pelvis if she will have to end up in a cart in the end anyway. Or, would the surgery benefit her even if she is in the cart? I am very new to this so I don't know much about it, but any input would be helpful.

We are meeting the vet next week for a check up and to discuss the surgery, he said it will be beneficial financially to make a decision quick so they won't have to re-break her and saw her bones to attach and realign, costing us much more.
CarolC

Re: paralysis and walking

Post by CarolC »

I think this is one of those situations where the vet will show you the x-rays and explain what he thinks you should do and why, and give logical reasons for all of it. If one decison is not clearly better than another, he will give you the options with pros and cons each way, and help you pick the best one. He will be able to tell whether the pelvis will cause her problems in the future without surgery. He will understand what you are saying about not wanting to spend money on the surgery if she is just going to be in a cart. I don't know if the foot that is folding under (it's called knuckling) will correct itself, but it may, it is still "early days". If it does not, they make several kinds of splints or booties to hold the foot in the right position. Here is one example.

http://scoutshouse.com/store/index.php? ... cts_id=315

I noticed in your blog you said she would not eat her kibble. Did the vet check her mouth when he examined her after the accident? Perhaps she is just being picky about her food because it makes her feel better to get something special right now, but possibly when she had the accident, she might have broken a tooth on the pavement or something. You might see if the vet will check her mouth when you go next week...just a thought.