wheels for cats?

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
Winnie

wheels for cats?

Post by Winnie »

One of the volunteers who helped home my 2nd dog rescued a cat whose hind legs have been cut by a scum. If dogs can walk in wheels, so can cats ? I haven't seen one though, not on this web or pets wheels websites. Any input ?
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:welcomeblue: back, Winnie!!

Most, if not all, custom cart companies make them for kitties. Before buying commercial, however, I'd try homemade, because kitties are notorious for not liking stuff on their bodily persons. :D They often prefer to do it their own way.
Last edited by critters on Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Thanks critters, you are always prompt to reply !

Anything different from making a home made dog cart then? I'm a dog person and do not know much about cats' habits, you know. Take a look at the poor thing. :cry:
Attachments
blue 2.jpg
blue.jpg
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Poor baby!!! :cry:

Other than size, I don't know of any differences; I'm in the process of finishing a quad cart for my Ari. I thought about it for weeks but still ended up finding better ways to do stuff as it went along.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

oh, so you are making a quad cart for your cat as well ? what happened to her (him?) ?
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Ari has severe cerebellar hypoplasia (cerebral palsy).
Dianne

Welcome back

Post by Dianne »

Hi Winnie, We remember you.

Here is a link to a website showing a homemade wheelchair for a cat.

http://www.dragginbear.com/

They used a children's construction toy, K'NEX, to build the chair.

Dianne
mumpkees

Re: wheels for cats?

Post by mumpkees »

Hi! Scum isn't the word I would have used. I certainly hope that this person is caught and tried for this act of cruelty.

That being said - bless you for being there for the little one. While your first thought is for a cart to help this little one, you may find it entirely unnecessary. Our Kieffer was born with no rear feet or rear legs. He (and his normal brother who I refused to leave) was pulled from the back room of a shelter by a shelter walker who called me frantically begging that we help him just moments before they were scheduled to die.

We too were worried how this little one was going to get around and if he'd have continual raw sore places. (We also have a little girl who with her two sibs were pulled from another shelter back room. NoFeeties has no rear feet and shortened rear legs).

Kieffer surprised us with his adaptation to a legless life at only five weeks. Kieffer 'walks' by lifting his rear up slightly and using his front legs to 'walk'. He actually lifts his bottom left to right so he looks like a snake as he moves. When he is in a hurry he does it so fast he actually makes an "S". But when he wants to beat mom to the kitchen he just does a handstand and runs on his front legs. Kieffer can get up on anything that he can get his claws into. He can't jump up, but he jumps off things as high as the dining room table which he has devised a way to get to by 'stairstepping' his way from furniture piece to furniture piece. LOL.

Kieffer uses a low sided litter box with no trouble at all. He does demand that his mom keep the box clean because he doesn't like to get his 'nubs' dirtly. Kieffer actually has about 1/2 inch legs one of which has a single toe complete with 'working' toenail.

If you need help with your little guy or you have questions, please ask one of the moderators for my work address. Once this little one's legs have healed, I think he will be fine without a cart. Most cats find them cumbersome and devise their own form of locomotion. While his legs are healing, you may want to use one of those paper litters so that the litter doesn't stick to his 'nubs'. Or try a flat cookie sheet type of litter pan with a puppy pee pad.

Again, bless you for being there for this little guy. /mari
/mari
Spiritcat and the Mooseheart Mumpkees of southeastern Texas
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Smaller pic. Ari's cart needs a little more paint and a harnessing system.
Attachments
cart little.jpg
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Thank you all for the advice and info !! The poor kitty (Blue) has now been adopted a kind hearted lady. The vet said it's premature to decide whether Blue needs a cart. Two pics attached were taken when the volunteers took her to the vet.

The story of Blue has raised much publicity. After it has been reported on TV and the papers, many people joined a march last Sunday in support of change of the animal protection law to impose heavier penalty / sentencing on abuse of animals.

Critters, do show us the finished cart of Ari !
Attachments
Blue 3.jpg
Blue 4.jpg
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Here's the next, but not final, step.
Attachments
cart 3 001.jpg