I'm new and need info & advice

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
MissWhiskers

I'm new and need info & advice

Post by MissWhiskers »

My name is Karen. I just agreed to take in a kitten who has mobility problems. Someone I work with had only had him about a month and doesn't know what's wrong with him but wanted to give the kitty up and I was afraid he would take it some place where it would be euthanized. And I'm not convinced that is neccesary. I have had the kitten since late Sunday eve. I just spoke to the vet which the guy had taken the kitty to. I don't think the kitten, Whiskers had any mobility problems when the guy first got him. I think he got him from a friend of his young daughter( she's about 16 years old). This is what I found out from the vet:
He saw the kitten near the end of Oct. The people did not report any trauma, thought he might have gotten into some household cleaning product. The Dr. said he was in poor condition - not ambulating in the rear.(side note: The Dr. said he was surprised the kitten was still with them).
The Dr. suspected Cryptosporidium, but that was not actually tested for. He treated him for Coccidia, however. I think he prescribed some antibiotics and Flagyll. The Dr. thought he should have an MRI and spinal taps but that was not done. He gathered that the people did not want to keep him. No blood work was done. No vaccines given( I don't think he has had any vaccines yet) No further testing. He estimates the kitty was about 8 weeks old - thinks he is no more than 3months currently.
My main question to everyone is what course of action should I take? For one thing, I don't really have much in the way of financial resources. Keep in mind that he is alert, seems content, likes to be touched, eats very well, is capable of urinating and pooping - just has to be held up to do so.(Thanks to Diana for that list of positives!)
I welcome all advice and information - as soon as possible, please!
Karen,
Reston, VA
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:strobe: I wonder if the baby got a spinal cord injury or brain damage from trauma or something? Maybe he was dropped, closed in a door or a reclining chair, etc. Can you tell if he has brain damage (appears more like cerebral palsy or perhaps mental retardation) or spinal cord injury (paraplegic)?
MissWhiskers

Please help!

Post by MissWhiskers »

Thank you for your reply. It very well might be from an injury, but I don't think I will ever know for sure. But I need to move forward with some course of action. I was hoping more people would respond to my request for help (ie. information & advice)!?
To answer your question - he can move the limbs, the rear legs more than the front ones - but all he does is lay on his side. He can stretch his limbs, shake his head.
To go to the bathroom I hold him over the litter box in about the normal position. If I put him in a sitting position and let go he will just fall over. Of course I don't let him fall. It's like he just won't use his muscles.
Any ideas? Anyone?
Karen
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Karen,

I have cats but am not one of the real experts here. Others will be reading your message, sometimes it takes a while for everyone to stop by and you may not get some of your answers until tomorrow so do keep checking for replies. Tonight before bedtime I will email several people to be sure they know your message has been posted, if they have not stopped by before then.

Do you mind if I ask some questions?

Do you have the kitten crated right now or in some kind of box? Can he drag himself forward at all with his front feet? I would handle him very carefully, supporting his head so it doesn't wobble. When you see a pet where the front legs are not working very well, it sometimes means a neck injury. I remember a year or so ago there was a kitten named Chipper who had been through a tree shredder and survived and he looked OK. But he had a neck injury and it was not diagnosed and stabilized and he later died. It is hard to tell, the kitten could have gotten in the dryer, been shaken by a dog, almost anything. I think keeping him immobile as much as possible right now would be my choice, since you do not know exactly what is going on.

Here is a picture where a kitten has a neck brace. I already told the owner of this kitten we were expecting you, so she will be by as soon as she can.

On this link you will see a picture of a kitten with a broken back supported by a brace.

http://www.caringcanine.com/clients.htm
kittenbrokenback2small.jpg
You say he is using the litterbox fine when you help him. Are you having any accidents where you need to clean up?

When you press on the bottoms of his feet, does he resist (push back against your hand)?

If you are sure the kitten's neck is OK, we have examples of how to make a support frame to help the kitten stand on all 4 feet. Here is a link to a wheelchair made for Speedy kitten. It does not sound appropriate for your kitten which is weak in the front legs, you would need a 4-wheel cart, but it shows that a small wheelchair can be made with K-Nex. It is just one example of what you can do.

http://geocities.com/speedykitten/index.html

I am glad you are here. I hope you get the answers you need as soon as possible.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:lol: Oh, I realize it isn't likely anybody will ever know what happened to the little mite, but brain and spinal cord injuries are SO different in treatment that I was trying to get a better feel for what his deal is. My feeling is that it may be something like cerebellar hypoplasia (critter CP).

Regardless, Carol's idea about Speedy's cart is an excellent one; I haven't long finished a PVC version for my severe CH baby, Ari. A loving, adapted environment that encourages the baby to do what he (or she) can goes a long way to independence.
Debbie-Spain

Post by Debbie-Spain »

Hi Karen

It's difficult to tell without seeing him, but like Critters, it sounds to me like it could be something brain-related. I currently have two CH puppies in foster (not related to each other) and both have more severe problems with their front legs than their rear legs. I just lost one whose rear legs were more severe. However, all the cases I know of CH have been congenital, whereas this seems to be due to some kind of trauma or condition that your kitten suffered later. Many CH cases have "intention tremor", i.e. their head shakes when they try and concentrate on doing something... but I have one CH pup that doesn't have that. However, two others I have had and a kitten my friend is fostering do have that head tremor. Some kinds of traumatic brain damage can appear similar to CH.

I understand that in a case like yours it is difficult to know which way to turn or what to do first. I would normally ask my vet to run a complete blood test to see if it throws anything up. It can give you a good idea as to whether the kitten's problems are caused by any kind of disease or condition that could be contagious or degenerative, for example FIP can sometimes cause neurological problems, and rarely so can some kinds of parasites. It is also probably the most economical of the possibilities. I would really want to rule out any possible virus involvement first, because if the kitten's problem is due to an illness or infection, he will definitely need treatment, whereas if it is a disability caused by trauma, it will more likely need rehab, but is not as urgent or life-threatening and things can be taken more slowly. If he has something like CH, then that is basically a balance problem and he will need support.

If the blood tests came back clear then I would do x-rays (actually, I often do x-rays before blood test as most of the animals we take in are trauma victims, so depending on the suspected history these two stages might be the other way round...)

I wasn't really into the idea of spinal taps but had one done on one of my CH pups because my vet suspected he might have some kind of meningitis, which could be treatable. Although convinced he had CH, I decided to have the tap done while having the pup neutered (he came to me at about 9 months). It came back absolutely clear, reinforcing the CH diagnosis, I was glad to get the possible meningitis idea out of the way, but didn't really feel the tap had helped us that much... though it might if there are definite signs of brain problems.

MR can be very useful in pinpointing a tough diagnosis, especially with an animal that previously had mobility then lost it, but personally it wouldn't be my first option unless money were no object. I am in Spain and possibly price scales are different in the US. Maybe an MR is not a lot more than doing x-rays and/or a blood test, here there is a significant difference.

Carol told me about your post so I came here, but I'm fighting 'flu at the moment and have a raging fever :-) so not sure if I'm writing much sense... to summarise, I would say if you think it could be disease or virus-related, do the blood tests; if you think it is trauma, try and get the x-rays done.

Maybe you can get a local shelter or rescue group to help with the costs or they can offer you access to their veterinary professionals or something? It may be worth a try.

Not everyone is convinced by its usefulness, but here we have seen some improvement in many neurological cases following acupuncture applied by a very experienced vet. That may be something to keep in mind.

I would agree to try and keep him as immobilised as possible until you have a more definite idea of his diagnosis as neck or spinal cord trauma is also a big possibility until it can be ruled out.

You did a kind thing taking him in; remember to stay positive!

Debbie
Spain

PS: Maybe Bendy's mom will come along, she is sure to have more and better ideas!
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

did someone call me?

Post by Bendy Kitty »

*runnin over lil poof tail held high*

hmmmm *reading the posts very seriously*

poor lil kitten, I am glad that you took him in to give him a chance. I certainly agree that if he seems happy, he should be given a chance!

If he is peeing and pooping on his own, that is very good, it means the nerve signals are travelling. We do a smiliar thing with Mimosa, our veryveryvery brain damaged girl (from anesthesia). She adjusted very quickly to a schedule of being put in the litterbox. Because at first she did not have control, we would express her but now we just need to get her started and she goes on her own.
Her story might be helpful to you. we based her treatment on what a friend of ours who works with brain damaged people told us about brain damaged children. He emphasized that the brain is very versitile and can remap pathways to control body functions. The key to doing this is to do physical therapy. Moving the legs/head/whatever helps the brain 'relearn' where thigns are.
Mimosa coudl not stand or walk or drink or eat when we first brought her home. Mom moved her feet, one by one, in the order they needed to go to walk. Mimosa HATED it, but she learned to walk. She gets around pretty well now, she does have a lot of coordination and balance issues but she has adjusted very well. The other cats don't pick on her, in fact we have seen her oust the much feared Bast from a bed!

Bracing the kitten's neck couldn't hurt, in case it was a neck injury it might help. If it wasn't a neck injury, it won't make anythign worse tho the kitten may glare at you a lot.

Another option to consider is finding an animal chiropractor. A friend of ours had a tiny kitten (about 4 weeks old) with a neck injury. She made a little brace for it and took him to a chiropractor. The kitten recovered and last we heard was doing great. Finding a kitty chiropactor can be a challenge, you can start by askign your vet or seeing if there is a "holistic" vet around - they often know where to find such people.

I'd move those lil legs through some range of motion exercises and try partial weight bearing too. You can look at the page about Sammi kitten (he passed away from a spider bite, sadly) who was born with hind end problems but we built up his leg muscles and he improved a lot, slowly increasing the amount of weight he put on his feet during the sessions.

Life here has been extremely hectic, so we have not had much time for any boards or email but life has (finally) become much calmer so we should have more time for here.

headbonks and purrrs

bendy kitty
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
mumpkees

Re: I'm new and need info & advice

Post by mumpkees »

Hi Karen! What is your little guy's name? First I want to say thank you for opening your home and your heart to this little kitten - for seeing past his challenges and realizing that with a little help he can very well live a happy life.

I guess I am missing something but I don't see where he is having front leg mobility challenges. Would it be possible for you to describe his condition in more detail? Tell us if he can sit up on his own, stand, walk at all. Does his head wobble or tremor? Can he eat on his own or do you have to hold him and/or his dish? The fact that he is able to urinate and defecate on his own is excellent. There is nothing that says that he must use a conventional litter box - there are many alternatives that can be used to accommodate his mobility challenges. Same goes for his eating. We can discuss alternatives - ideas, suggestions, tips later.

Debbie from Spain's suggestions are much as I would suggest. I'd find a good vet who is open minded with special needs furkids and the first words out his mouth is not pts/quality of life will be nil. Everyone here who has replied to you has at least one, most several, severely challenged furkids and we all will tell you that each one of our kids regardless of their challenges is living a very happy and active life. There are all kinds of things that can be done, and most are quite easy and inexpensive to allow them to do the same things a normal cat or dog does.

I would have that vet do a good physical examination, basic blood work and urinalysis and a fecal exam to check for parasites. The poor little guy has had several tests and meds and he may or may not have needed them. These basic tests can rule out many things. And please do not buy into the FIP test and its 'positive' results. And even if he tests positive for feline leukemia or FIV, those viruses can be addressed and there is no need for pts.

I would also keep him confined to a condo (cage). If he has suffered an injury, right now rest is one of his best healing tools. Running around with his mobility challenges, he could do further damage.

Like Bendy, I'm a big believer in range of motion and physical therapy. When Bentley came to live with us his little rear legs were completely bent and twisted and one rear foot bottom pointed to the ceiling - my partner sat with him on her lap several times a day massaging and gently moving the joint - one day we were sitting there and a grey streak flew by us - it was bentley on all four feet - legs still bent, but they had managed to get that foot turned around and flat on the floor.

We have a house full of furkids with challenges - some when they came to live w/ us we were sure that they would have severe problems with eating or using a litter box or being able to move around. Our rear paralyzed Katrina survivor whose legs are fused along the right side of her body goes any where she wants - she can't climb but can hop down off things. She isn't able to get into a litter box and refuses to use the alternatives available to her so she just tells us when she needs to go or wants up on something. NoFeeties has shortened back legs and no feet - there is nothing she can't do. Kieffer has no rear legs or rear feet and if he can climb it he is on it. MaxMan could not sit, stand or walk on his own, he wasn't able to eat on his own and had to have a liquid diet all his life because of another condition he had. He had a laundry list of other problems, but he was spoiled rotten - got carried wherever we were, barked at us (he couldn't meow) when we didn't move fast enough and he wanted something - he was the light of our lives. While many would go poor kitties, put them out of their misery - everyone else here knows that with few minor adjustments on our parts, these furkids are having as good a life as they would if they were 'normal'.

I have a tendency to ramble so will stop now. Please tell us a little more detail about what your kitty can and cannot do. There are all kinds of things that we will be able to suggest to you to make life easier for both you and your kitty. Most of us here don't have endless sums of money either so many of the suggestions are very 'cheap'.

/mari
/mari
Spiritcat and the Mooseheart Mumpkees of southeastern Texas
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Karen,

Since CH has been mentioned several times and you may never have heard of it, here is a link to the CH Kitty Club.

http://www.chkittyclub.com/pages/home.html

Also, here is a video about a cat with balance problems.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/news/inthenews.html
MissWhiskers

Post by MissWhiskers »

Thank you all so much for sharing your information, suggestions and valuable experience - even tho you're busy and one of you is sick.
I was keeping him on soft blankets on the floor, but was begining to realize that it might be better to keep him in a carrier most of the time. He is really small, weighs about a pound and a half, I think. He cannot stand up at all. Lays on his side- either side. He cannot or at least does not drag himself around. He can move all of his limbs - I'd say he moves his front legs the least .When I touch his feet he responds by flexing his toes and his legs. His neck seems pretty strong - well at least normal - but I think I have witnessed a couple of episodes of tremors or shakes. He can stretch out and he does roll from one side to the other once in awhile. I hold him up to eat and go to the bathroom. I can put him in a sitting position, but he would just flop over if not propped up against something. Like all cats and kitties he loves to have his chin, head, neck stroked and rubbed. He purrs so sweetly! By the way his name is Whiskers. Sometimes I can tell if he needs to go to the bathroom, but if I am not there, like while I'm away at work he has gone wherever he's lying.
Tomorrow I'm taking him to get x-rayed and labwork and will let you all know the results.
If it is CH, how is that diagnosed? Through an MRI? If that is the case, I don't know how in the world I could pay for that!?
Thanks again for your help and encouragement - it really helps. And thanks for all the links,

Karen
mumpkees

Post by mumpkees »

Karen:

I'm reading what you just wrote and I'd almost bet that he has moderate to severe CH! Your description is almost identical to our Angel MaxMan. I will elaborate on CH further down in my post, but want to say right up front - CH is not a death sentence - CH is not contageous to other cats, to your dog, to ferrets or rabbits or other small pets, nor is it contageous to your kids or you. There are varying 'degrees' of CH but with a loving and dedicated care giver CH kitties no matter how severe their CH can and do live wonderfully happy lives.

MaxMan was born to a recently rescued pregnant stray. He was one of three she had. Two kittens were completely normal. MaxMan was 1/2 their size (small size is very common w/ CH kittens). It was evident from the minute MaxMan was born that there was something very wrong with him, however, it wasn't until later that we knew for sure it was a very severe case of CH. He was unable to 'claw' his way to his mom and even if he was placed in front of a nipple he wasn't able to coordinate his paws to knead nor could he hold on to the nipple because he had a terrible underbite. MaxMan was hand raised with much difficulty because after four vets he was finally diagnosed with a condition called mega esophagus. He also had a slight heart murmur, vision problems and several other problems including physical deformities of his joints so even if he had been able to stand, he probably wouldn't have been able to walk very well. His vet strongly urged pts several times, but his 'other mother' refused because maxman was so determined to live.

In answer to your question about how CH is diagnosed. There is no 'test'. CH has some fairly classic symptoms and a vet who knows what CH is will be able to just observe the kitten and pretty much know.

It is an excellent idea to have his blood work and urinalysis done. But again, if he tests positive for leukemia or FIV, do NOT agree to euthanasia because far too many times the test used to determine leuk or FIV can be a false positive and more cats are pts from false positive tests results than ever have these viruses. Same with FIP - there is no test for FIP and a titre positive for 'FIP' only means that the kitten has been 'exposed' to corona virus which more than likely will never mutate to FIP.

Also have a fecal done to rule out parasites. I'm not even sure if I'd do an x-ray right off as they are pretty pricey. If you can afford it then it is good to have as a baseline. A good vet (if he doesn't, ask that he do this) will check all of Whiskers vitals (heart / lungs) (also don't be alarmed if a heart murmur is detected as many CH babies have one when very young). The vet will feel his body from top to bottom (of course if he feels something 'odd' then an x-ray is in order). He will check his ears for yeast, mites, infection. (does Whiskers hear?). He will open his mouth and check his teeth, gums, throat. He will look at his eyes and probably check to see if he can focus and follow. (many CH kitties have vision problems because the virus attacks not only the cerebellum but any rapidly developing cells in the kitten).

Okay - what is CH? CH is cerebellar hypoplasia. It is not a 'disease' but a condition. There is no 'cure' because by the time the kitten is born, the damage has been done. Kittens 'get' CH because their mother contracts a virus (or is vaccinated for this virus) during her pregnancy because she wasn't lucky enough to have the standard vaccinations. The virus attacks the portion of the brain called the cerebellum. This is the part of the brain that controls fine motor skills and balance. While most literature says this is the only part affected, others have found that the virus attacks other rapidly developing cells and organs in the body like the eyes. Kittens with CH also have had epilepsy, seizures or are deaf or have other abnormalities.

Depending upon when in her pregnancy she gets the virus, kittens can be reabsorbed, still born or be afflicted with CH in varying degrees from barely noticeable to very severe like our maxman was and Critters little Ari and quite possibly your Whiskers. Some or all of the kittens in a litter will be CH.

Most of the time you don't notice anything different about the kittens until just about the time they start to try to get up on all fours and walk. CH kittens will seem more clumsy, will topple over, shake or move their legs oddly (this is the balance part). Many also will have head intention tremors (this is the fine motor skills) when they try to hold their heads steady to drink water or to eat. Head intention tremors range from slight 'shaking' to almost no control.

If your kitten does have CH, the time line for what you are seeing is just about right. The good thing is CH does not get worse. In fact, CH kittens actually seem to get better as they grow stronger and learn to compensate for their challenges. Interactive play (supervised so they don't get hurt until they get stronger) with siblings help strengthen their limbs and develop coordination. Feather toys and other play with their humans helps too. PT and strengthening exercises will help them. Quite possibly holding Whiskers up using a sling under his belly and allowing him to 'walk' may work. However, there are some like MaxMan who even doing this and using a cart (which he hated and bothered his breathing) will never be able to gain enough balance or strength to walk upright. Some gain enough strength to walk a few steps and fall, but the sheer determination of a CH cat, gets them right back on their feet to try again. Some will use walls and furniture as balance aids, some devise other aids to help them get around.

I have so much to tell you about CH and how you can help Whiskers but this is getting really long. Have his basic check up and if there isn't something medically amiss, I strongly suspect that Whiskers has CH (the fact that he is basically normal in all ways - able to go potty on his own, eat normally, moves all his body parts makes me think CH versus an injury trauma). The fine motor skills and balance are what he is missing.

Even if the vet isn't able to confirm CH, we can still assist Whiskers as if he did have CH. I (and others) can help you with all kinds of exercises, training aids, feeding stations, litter box alternatives. I think it is a good idea that you are now confining him to a condo when you aren't there to supervise him - this will keep him safe until you are able to tell just how much he can do - some will be able to climb but can't jump down so just drop out into space hurting themselves. It will also confine the number of areas you will need to clean up.

Go to Sams or Walmart and purchase human incontinence pads - they are larger and thicker and CHEAPER than 'doggie pee pads'. Line the bottom of his cage with one of these - anchor it with double sided tape or alligator clips to the sides of cage so it doesn't slip around. you can also find washable waterproof baby changing pads or human washable waterproof pads for use with an adult at thrift stores and gently used ones can be picked up cheaply from on line sources.

I would continue to hold him to feed and give him water. I probably would not leave dry food or water in his cage until you are sure he won't fall into his water and not be able to get out or aspirate when he tries to drink. Same w/ dry food and choking.

You are more than welcome to write me off list (a moderator can give you my addy) to ask questions and get tips.

I'm sure I've missed something but this is getting really long. Don't hesitate to ask more questions and do let us know what the doctor has to say. There are lots of CH kittens living happy lives regardless of how mobile they are. Their sweetness and sheer determination to 'do it myself mom' endears them to their moms and most soon open their home and hearts to another.

/mari
/mari
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

The only thing I can add to Mari's dissertation :mrgreen: is that vax with the LIVE virus can cause CH in the babies, but not the dead vax.
MissWhiskers

Wow

Post by MissWhiskers »

I am so impressed at everyone's knowledge and the time you have taken to communicate with me. I can't thank you enough!
Mari, your "dissertation" :wink: could never be too long for me!
I think you asked, Whiskers can hear ( and he likes to watch t.v.!?)
I'm trying to arrange transportation to a Vet where I can get a local rescue group's discount. I don't have a car.
Anyway, I will write back soon - hopefully with results from those tests you all suggested.
Oh, can anyone explain to me how to "express" his bladder? Also, I don't think he drinks enough water, what is the best method I could use to give him water? Besides cats I have guinea pigs also and know how to syringe feed them, so I have been trying to give Whiskers water with a syringe. He doesn't really respond well to that - maybe he just doesn't like it and I just have to do it anyway?
Karen
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Express a dog or cat:
http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Express_a_dog_or_cat

How about smushing a little canned food into his water to make it yummy?
mumpkees

Re: Wow

Post by mumpkees »

Karen:

I am always SOOOO impressed when someone who has their own 'challenges' (no transportation, limited resources) will go to such great lengths to help a special needs furchild! Karen - you are one of these people!

Whiskers could be fascinated with the images moving on the TV screen. You can test his hearing by being far enough behind him that he doesn't feel the air moving and dropping a set of keys on the floor, clicking your fingers or clapping your hands. If his ears move or he is startled or tries to turn in the direction of the sound, he can hear.

There is no need to express his bladder if he is peeing on his own. If his blanket or a pee pad is wet in a 'puddle' he is urinating as he should on his own. If he 'leaks' all the time, then you will want to get to a vet just as soon as you can so that you can be taught how to express his bladder. It is a fairly easy thing to learn, but you want to learn how and where to place your hands, how to massage and squeeze the bladder so that you don't hurt him and you fully empty the bladder (again to keep bacteria from breeding in the retained urine). If he leaks all the time, not only is it uncomfortable, but it can stretch or damage his bladder. It also leaves him open to bladder infections. One thing I might add here since I imagine he may not be able to do his own 'cleaning', you are going to have to do that for him with a warm wash cloth to make sure that you keep him free from urine and feces. Cat urine is very acidic and will burn his skin. Urine scald is worse than diaper rash to clear up.

You also mentioned that he lays on only one side. Can he turn over at all on his own? If not, please be sure to regularly prop him up on alternating sides. When we had maxman, we took a cat carrier apart and lined it with blankets and pillows to make him a 'situp bed'. We toted him and his bed with us from room to room so that he could be a part of the family.

Another wonderful 'invention' for us was the human play pen. We found one at a thrift store for around $5.00. We could put him in the playpen when we were both busy so that we knew he would be safe from falling off anything if he got excited and decided to 'follow' another cat or a toy. He was also safe from being stepped on by the other cats. He often had visitors that went in to snuggle w/ him in his bed.

MaxMan took a bottle until he was nine months (yes months) old because he could not control his tongue enough to lap. He lived on a liquid diet his entire life - gaining weight and thriving and took his first laps from the lid of a baby food jar because his head intention tremors were so bad he would nose dive into the shallowist of bowls and we were petrified he would aspirate. MaxMan also detested water and never drank straight water in his entire life except for one time when he was running a fever and for some reason he wanted water. I too was concerned about him not drinking and getting enough water so I asked my vet how much water he needed to have.

At the time he was a little over 6#. He told me he needed sixty cc's per day. We fed him KMR powder mixed with a little chicken meat baby food (for flavor). So what I did was take the number of meals that we fed him per day and divide that into the 60cc's of water. That amount of water was mixed into each meal. At first I was using a measure, but after years of doing it, I just eyeballed it.

Whiskers is not quite two pounds so he should be getting about 20 cc's of water per day. If you are feeding wet food a good portion of that water is in his food, but I would supplement it like Critters suggests by adding water and if you can afford it some powdered KMR (kitten milk replacement) to give him some added nutrition.

Do you know how to test for dehydration by lifting the skin behind the base of their skull? If it springs back into place immediately he is hydrated. If it returns slowly or stays stuck up he is dehydrated. I would be careful syringing him being so little - you don't want him to aspirate. I'd try seeing how much 'gravy' i could get him to drink with his meals.

You might also think about using the same kind of watering device that you use for your g/piggies. Cats can learn to use those things and that way you'd not have to worry about him falling face first into his bowl.

Continue to keep us posted. Do you have pictures of him? And again, please feel free to write me off list if there is something you are uncomfortable about asking here or if you just want to talk. Whiskers sounds absolutely precious and is so lucky that he found you. /mari
/mari