Chelsea has Hip Dysplasia

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
kodiblue

Chelsea has Hip Dysplasia

Post by kodiblue »

Hi all, as if Poor Jack didn't have enough problems. Now the "healthy" sister has been diagnosed with HD. She was running around with everyone else, doggie tag, fell and started crying. I carried her in and called the vet. He said it sounded like a strain and to watch her. This was several weeks ago. She seemed to feel better in a couple hours so we didn't worry. Since then, she refuses to walk on the hardwood, and I have seen her limping around a couple times. Finally yesterday she was playing tug-o-war with Apollo our Pit Bull. he doesn't realize he is so strong and gave a big tug pulling her off her feet. She started to cry and he slunk away in shame. I cuddled her and we went to the doc. (new doc) She has Hip Displasia in the left rear hip. Doctor said it's not too bad now and wants to wait and see before treatment. I have never known a dog with this and don't know much about it. If anyone can give me pointers and advice I would appreciate it. She misses Jack and I don't want to see her suffer too. I will be getting runners for the floors and put down a softer bed for her. (she only puts her rear on it the rest hangs off the edge) Thanks, Lisa
SandyNY

Re: Chelsea has Hip Dysplasia

Post by SandyNY »

at least they are taking turns - one right after another. So sorry to hear but probably good news you caught i tearly. here is some reading for you:

http://bakerinstitute.vet.cornell.edu/c ... _11_05.pdf
SandyNY

Post by SandyNY »

scroll this list to find 'hip dysplasia' artlces, some articles on surgery , and a couple articles on non surgical treatments...may give you some direction to investigate!

http://www.mirage-samoyeds.com/healthlinks3.htm#skin
kodiblue

Post by kodiblue »

Thanks Sandy, I would like to give her something for pain, she whimpers sometimes so I know it hurts. Anyone know whats best?
grizzleybear

Post by grizzleybear »

Sorry to hear about Chelsea. One suggestion I have is to start her on glucosamine/chondroitin/msm asap. Ask around and see which equine formulations people in your area have used with success. Equine formulations are much cheaper than the canine versions. Ester C, Fish oil caps, ginger and tumeric are also useful. Devils Claw is a very useful anti-inflamatory used for arthritis. If you give fish oil, do make sure Chelsea gets some Vitamin E a couple times per wee as it apparently ties it up in the system. I've also heard that Traumeel is very good as well.

Keeping her on the lean side is best weightwise. Moderate exercize around 20-30 minutes at a time more frequently is better than a single longer session.

My Poohbear has severe hip dysplasia and is currently on deramaxx and Sasha's Blend/equine glucosamine combo with fish oil, ester c, ginger.

Hope this helps.