Carpal Hyperextension - Declined Surgery

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
LeroysMom

Carpal Hyperextension - Declined Surgery

Post by LeroysMom »

Hi, I am seeking some advice from anyone who has dealt with a carpal hyperextension that elected not to have the surgery. My dog is a 70 pound Standard Poodle that suffered a fall, and was unfortunately not diagnosed correctly for two weeks, although we did take him to the vet twice in that time frame. At two weeks post injury he was placed in a backwards splint to relieve the ligaments for about 2.5 weeks, then a soft cast. The leg did not improve, and he has about a 50 degree hyperextension at this time. We found the Carpo Flex Wraps, and have the medium support with the extra support nylon splints. I do not have $4,000 for the surgery and we refuse to put this beautiful boy down (as suggested by the local Specialty clinic if we didn't do the surgery). My regular vet did not see him when the initial emergency occurred, so I do not blame him for the delay in diagnosis. He has agreed that if we can't afford the surgery we need to explore other means of relief for him. The Wraps seem to hold his leg at the proper angle, although he is still lame. He never had any pain on manipulation, although he must have some pain or he wouldn't be lame, I am assuming. He is now 8 weeks post trauma. Can anyone offer any other suggestions? We have been told to consider amputation at 6 months if there is no relief. Has anyone tried this? Do you know of any front leg prosthesis for dogs, or is it necessary? Thanks for any help!
:thankyou:
critters
Founding Member

Re: Carpal Hyperextension - Declined Surgery

Post by critters »

:whale: I wouldn't assume pain, although it could certainly be there. It might also be floppy, causing him to walk funny. I can't believe somebody'd suggest killing him for THAT!!! :shock: :x
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Poodles are by nature trim and lithe, and would have a lot easier time of adjusting than say, a St. Bernard, who coincidently is also a member here, and had such a HUGE success that her dog encourages all of us! Front legs are trickier than back legs because they carry the bulk of the body weight. Poodles, however, are known (as is my own Eskimo) as circus dogs because they can master so many commands and have a strength in their rear quarters which allow them to walk (for a limited time) on their hind legs. You can get him ready by massage and passive therapy on her other front leg (hey even on her injured leg!) If you go to the paralysis forum, under the stickies at the top, and scroll down about half way for some wonderful exercises.
He can adjust to 3 legs, and he will amaze you, but it is a huge decision. Others will weigh in for different options you will want to explore.
WELCOME!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
afthomps

Post by afthomps »

Hi LeroysMom, I am having the same issue with my 107lb Golden retriever. I purchased a couple of carpal splints in XL but he such an abnormally big boned golden, so when the carpal joint swells a little then the carpal splint will not fit. He is 9 years old and with the surgery being so expensive we would really like to try to help him out the best way we can without surgery. I see your post was 2009, just curious if you could tell me how things went for you/your dog? Is there any advice you could provide me with? We are desperate to help him.