Cat with sudden hind end weakness

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
smithduke

Cat with sudden hind end weakness

Post by smithduke »

Hi. Just wondering if anyone has had this situation. My 20 year old cat Dillon, is in great shape for her age and plays and jumps like a kitten. You would never guess that she is 20. Five days ago, she started having trouble with her back legs and could only walk on her hocks. I rushed her to the vet and her blood work was normal except her thyroid was high and x-rays showed nothing unusual. Her back feet are pink and warm so the vet doesn't think it's a clot. The weakness has progressed and she can no longer use her legs but she can still move them. We are at a loss as to what is going on with her. Just in case there was swelling we've been giving her steroids but there's no change in her. The vet doesn't think her thyroid has anything to do with the weakness. I love this cat so much and I hate the thought of putting her to sleeps. She's so lucid and other than the problem with her legs, she's seems happy and healthy. Dillon's symptoms sound like Diabetic Neuropathy but I double checked with my vet and her glucose levels were normal.
smithduke

Re: Cat with sudden hind end weakness

Post by smithduke »

I'm devastated at the turn of events. My Dillon can no longer able to poo and pee on her own. She's becoming distended and seems uncomfortable. We'll be taking her tomorrow morning to have her pass away, hopefully peacefully. :cry: :angel: :thankyou:
Christine

Post by Christine »

Dear Smithduke,

I don't have answers as to the weakness, but you can express her for both urine and poop. We have several cat experts her who will have some advice if you feel you want to give this a try. Take a look at the Incontinence Sticky, there are pictures and drawings explaining how to do this. Your vet will know and can show you too. This is your most immediate concern if you want to give it a little more time.

Did the vet prescribe medication for the thyroid condition? I will try to contact Bendy who really knows about cats. Your little one is a wonder to be 20 years old. This might be her time, but maybe not, only you and she will know for sure. Take care.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

morning
i am up "early" for me at least and glad i checked here!

you can express her bowels and bladder, since she hasn't gone in awhile it should be easy to feel everything.

here is the hp page on expressing
http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Express_a_dog_or_cat

i knew a diabetic cat who had similar syptoms his glucose seemed ok. the people went to the Yahoo group for diabetic cats (sorry i don't have the link but you can search Yahoo groups) and found a lot of good advice there. their boy did regain use of his legs.

many purrrs for your girl.

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

morning
i am up "early" for me at least and glad i checked here!

you can express her bowels and bladder, since she hasn't gone in awhile it should be easy to feel everything.

here is the hp page on expressing
http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Express_a_dog_or_cat

i knew a diabetic cat who had similar syptoms his glucose seemed ok. the people went to the Yahoo group for diabetic cats (sorry i don't have the link but you can search Yahoo groups) and found a lot of good advice there. their boy did regain use of his legs.

many purrrs for your girl.

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi smithduke,

I am sorry I did not reply earlier, I tried to check the board last night but there was a temporary server error and it would not connect. I hope you still have your cat. Your description of her condition does not sound like paralysis. If your cat was not pooping, that could have more to do difficulty squatting, making it an effort. If she was not peeing, that could also be difficulty getting to the litterbox, and if she is on steroids that can make the pet thirsty and inclined to drink more, so her bladder could simply be full due to extra intake and difficulty getting to the box.

I have 2 cats who walk on their hocks part or most of the time. One is my very, very elderly Himalayan, who has arthritis and is just old as the hills. The other is my senior Maine Coone, who was treated about 4 years ago for hyperthyroidism and is fine now. The vet explained what caused him to walk like that, but at the moment I'm having a brain fade and can't remember the explanation, but it was not paralysis. I think it had to do with spinal arthritis. The vet also demonstrated how he was walking with his hind feet spread apart more than normal, which is also part of the condition.

Was she able to do anything if you placed her in the litter box?

Did you have her kidney values checked? Kidneys are another thing that can make them weak in the rear just as you describe.
smithduke

Post by smithduke »

Thanks to everyone who responded!

Sadly, my Dillon is no longer with us. She was peeing a little bit here and there but hadn't had a BM in days. Last night I stayed up with her all night because she was very restless. Her abdomen became distended so I knew it was bad. My hubby took her to our vet this morning. The vet said that she was full of stool and wouldn't have lived long being in this state. When she first became weak, I took her to a vet that had emergency hours and who was a closer driving distance to us than our regular vet. At the time I took her to the vet her blood work was normal and her x-rays showed nothing remarkable. I don't know if if she had a bowel obstruction that may have caused her weakness or if her weakness caused her to not be able to move her bowels but either way, I can't dwell on it. She's gone now and I take solace that she's not uncomfortable anymore. She was a wonderful, affectionate, loving cat and she'll always be special to me!!!!

This is a recent picture of my Dillon. Doesn't she look great for twenty years old??? :wub: :angel:
Christine

Post by Christine »

She is absolutely beautiful. How lucky to have shared your life with her for twenty years. I am sorry we were not able to help. She is pain free and playing at the Bridge until you meet again. Take care.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
smithduke

Post by smithduke »

Thank you everyone who's given me support! :thankyou: Christine, it looks like Baily was just as special to you as my Dillon was to me. Baily's photo make me want to kiss her right on the nose!! :wub: Tonight I'm going through moments of sadness, guilt, thankfulness, etc. which I'm certain everyone here has gone through when they've lost a special pet! I wish your pets a long, happy, healthy life and when it's their time to go, may it be peaceful! :angel:
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I am so very sorry. What a beautiful kitty. Dillon wil be at the Bridge, waiting for you.
Tears for you this morning.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
smithduke

Post by smithduke »

:thankyou: I'm getting to the point where I can talk about Dillon without crying (at least most of the time). She's at peace and not in pain and I take great comfort in that. At least our animal friends are lucky that they have us to take away their suffering. My sister is an ICU nurse and she sees so many people dying in pain that she wishes euthanasia was allowed for humans. She said many nurses and doctors side with Dr. Kevorkian.