Dog wheelchairs

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
bethandpanda

Dog wheelchairs

Post by bethandpanda »

I have been bidding on a dog wheelchair on eBay. The chair is being distributed by Sylvan Company and is supposedly manufactured by Best Friend Mobility. Has anyone purchased one of these carts? I'm looking for feedback. Thanks!
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Dog wheelchairs

Post by Bobbie »

Never heard of them, but from the photo they look functional. I can't find a website for them but I didn't look too hard- my main concern from any maker new to the market would be how long they will last (company OR cart) and what kind of service you might get. It's a Doggon Wheels-style cart- Doggon has a long history of being a good company, good carts, but of course you'd pay more for one of theirs (though not necessarily for a used one which would be perfectly functional.)

If you do buy it let us know how it is as it is always great to get a user review.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

I thought every wheelchair needs to be measured to each individual dog?
hope it works out for you and your dog.
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Most wheelchairs can be adjusted somewhat- not all, but most can. Of the "big" ones Eddies Wheels is the least adjustable as the saddle size is fixed and width is fixed, plus gender is fixed (though in some carts there is very little difference.) Walkin Wheels and K9 Carts are quite adjustable- WW a little more as it has more extremes of height and length. Doggon is adjustable in height and length but not width. Width is pretty important as the cart will sway from side to side if it is too wide and make walking inefficient and possibly uncomfortable.

So make sure any cart you buy can be adjusted if it isn't quite what you want or if you aren't 100% sure of your measurements (many people measure wrong, btw, so check and double-check.) Width is critical, and depending on the cart design, maybe saddle size. (Thigh circumference or length.)
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
smoleniuch

Post by smoleniuch »

bethandpanda wrote:I have been bidding on a dog wheelchair on eBay. The chair is being distributed by Sylvan Company and is supposedly manufactured by Best Friend Mobility. Has anyone purchased one of these carts? I'm looking for feedback. Thanks!
I did,those wheelchairs arent so bad. :roll:
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Since this post I have heard of a few people purchasing them and the wheelchair sent was the wrong size, didn't adjust, and the customer service was very poor. I think I would stick with the real thing rather than a cheaper knockoff.
Bobbie Mayer