dragging back leg

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
kaylee

dragging back leg

Post by kaylee »

My Jack Russell has been having problems with her back legs for a while now. She at one time lost all control of her back legs, but part of her recognition of one of her back legs has come back. She is not in any pain and that may be why I have done little to help her, but the other back leg is really creating a challenge for her. She is now dragging the toes when walking and now does not know when she is going big potty. I need help. She has seen a neurologist and she wants to do an MRI, thinking that there is some problem in her neck. I doubt this. HELP!!!
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: dragging back leg

Post by Bobbie »

She has seen a neurologist and she wants to do an MRI, thinking that there is some problem in her neck. I doubt this. HELP!!!
Actually, a problem in the back vertebrae is the most likely thing. Cervical, or neck vertebrae will cause problems with the front legs. The lumbar and thoracic vertebrae control the back legs and a mild problem often starts as dragging. The fact that it happened then got better also suggests a disk problem in the back. But it could also be a milder problem starting further up; there must be some reason the neurologist thought neck (or did she just say spinal cord?)
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

my dog lived with a dragging paw for 2 years, I used a little shoe from ruffwear.com ( the red one) that will help you tremendously.
The cause of your dogs problem I can't help you with.
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
kaylee

Post by kaylee »

The neurologist said that she thought that she may have a brain tumor.
This was the reason for the MRI. At that time she had gotten so tired that she was unable to stand on her own.
Now it seems to be contained to her right back leg. Sometimes I am afraid that she will fall without getting her balance.
Scheduled an appt with a accupuncturist on Wednesday. She is a vet and comes highly recommended.
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

excellent idea! I had accupunture done as well on my dog.
About the balance issue< I assume a dog can keep his balance, look how many have amputated legs and they still run.
good luck, keep us posted.
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy