plaster opened a week early

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
nattuli

plaster opened a week early

Post by nattuli »

hi,
my kitty pouch, had multiple fractures,in her both legs,and joints attaching legs to body.
The vet plastered her and opened the plasterafter 7 days and replastered.We were to keep it on for 15days.
yesterday,we had to remove it ourselves because I noticed blood and pis oozing out and she could not pass stools also.

Now i dont want her to go through the whole torture again.
Can i just keep her immobile and resting for a while??

any suggestions
critters
Founding Member

Re: plaster opened a week early

Post by critters »

Hmm. VERY hard to say. You might try an xray to see if the bones are in decent alignment. If you're willing to have a bit of extra disability or disfigurement for the baby, it might be OK to let healing take care of itself.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: plaster opened a week early

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

A broken bone feels a LOT better when casted, keeps the bones in proper alignment and removes the pain of being in the wrong place. It would have to be done b doc, because he/she knows the proper placement of the bones. A week in some calcium deposits have started to form, no doubt. How long total has she been casted? Andy broke his hand off his arm and was only casted 3-4 weeks, but I fed him calcium every single day. His were also not weight bearing breaks.

I wouldn't rec doing it yourself, only because you want things where they are supposed to be.

Having broken / severed 22 bones over the years, including both legs, shoulder and jaw all at the same time, I can tell you casted bones feel a LOT beter than uncasted. My clavicle was extremelly painful because I was only "slung" and had to exercise my arm, but my legs were pain free (the breaks that is, I also had horrible lacerations and drains goin through the casts).

I don't know what to tell you except the pain factor is greatly relieved although the discomfort of casts is pretty stinky.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/