Senior dog with ACL injury

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
jeanineguidry

Senior dog with ACL injury

Post by jeanineguidry »

Our sweet senior lab girl Snowball injured her left hind ACL about seven weeks ago and had been improving some, but yesterday re-injured it badly and now cannot out any weight on it. She is in pain in spite of being on rimadyl and tramadol, and she is frustrated that her leg does not work and she can't do what her two canine family members can. We go back t the vet tomorrow but he has basically said she is too old for surgery and there is nothing else we can do. Does anyone here have experience with doggie wheelchairs for this purpose? Would it help to brace her hind leg? Please help us I am desperate, and I love her so much!
cricketsmom

Re: Senior dog with ACL injury

Post by cricketsmom »

What I would recommend for you and your dog is getting a second opinion. I work with veterinarians, and the truth is they all see things a little different. Age is only one part of determining surgical risk. Overall health is more important that her age. Plus, it sounds like this one isn't interested in discussing all your options. You DO have options. Strict crate rest will probably be one of them, for at least 8 weeks (you would have to do that if you opted for surgery also). And swimming is an excellent way to build back strength in the legs without stressing the joints. I would try the crate rest first, and meanwhile, look for a second opinion.
vet tech and pet mom
jeanineguidry

Post by jeanineguidry »

We got devastating news: our sweet, sweet Snowball has bone cancer - she actually fractured her femur on Saturday because the bone had been dissolved by cancer there. Treatment will only make the time she has left more miserable, so we have her on pain meds and we have created "Snowball's awesome bucket list tour 2011": we make sure she ALWAYS has human company (my hubby and/or myself, or a friend who she loves and trusts) and once a day we take her out to a favorite place - Starbucks two days ago, we took her bed to the patio, carried her there, and she loved meeting all the people and eating pound cake bite by bite (we had the most compassionate and sweet barista ever, giving us hugs, comping our drinks and Snowball's pound cake, and sitting down with her and petting her for at least 10 min). Yesterday she stayed in the room with us (her doggie brothers had to be upstairs) when our band practiced - she loves music and loves to hear me sing (I am the lead singer), and then we carried her out to our screened in porch and all three dogs, the two of us, and a family friend enjoyed an hour of a beautiful Spring night. Today we are taking her to Three Dog Bakery for company and treats, tomorrow we're going to try and take her to the river, and we will keep going until she no longer enjoys it. We sleep on the floor next to her in our family room every night. Our hearts are broken. I pray every waking moment that she will go to sleep one night and just not wake up. If we have to help her cross the rainbow bridge a vet will come to our house. Outings and car are just for fun now. The vet thinks she has maybe two weeks of "good" time left.

I would love any advice or prayers or good thoughts. I am so afraid that when the time comes I will be a blubbering ball of tears and I don't want to freak her out and scare her in her last moments. My hubby (who she adores with all her being) is much stronger.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Ohhhh...that's a pity, you are now in a whole different world compared to ACL. It sounds like you have the best attitude anyone ever had. :angel:

The vet said treatment would only make the time she has left more miserable? I don't know. They always say dogs do not have the same degree of side effects from chemo as humans do, they handle it much better. You might consider getting a second opinion, perhaps a referral to a veterinary oncologist if you can afford it. They could check whether they see it anywhere else (such as the lungs) and help you decide whether chemo would be an option.

Here is a post from someone who went through the same experience. Her dog lived 3 more years. I do not know if you would have the same outcome, however it may help you to know this is how it went for someone else.
tessa wrote:xena, my beautiful nine year old sheppard cross, had her front left leg amputated two weeks ago. just a day before that she was a happy, healthy dog with no indication that she had bone cancer. while out on a walk, her leg simply broke in half at the site of the cancer. it was disasterous. we were horrified at what happened and terrified that we might suddenly be faced with the loss of our beloved and constant companion. we were actually *relieved* to learn we were only facing amputation at this time...and we went ahead with it without hesitation.
http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... oke#p31305

Here is her blog.
http://tessagirrl.xanga.com/
http://tessagirrl.xanga.com/?nextdate=8 ... irection=n (I think this link puts you on the first entry in 2006)

Are you aware of a couple of groups for dogs in this situation? There is

http://www.tripawds.org

and a hugely active yahoogroup

http://pets.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/bonecancerdogs/
cricketsmom

Post by cricketsmom »

Oh no :cry: that IS a very different world. But so wonderful she is being pampered like a queen. It's worth looking into if you can afford treatment, but I've been told bone cancer almost always comes back, so it's a gamble with time. I know you must love her very very much, and you will make the right decision no matter what you choose. It's so wonderful how you have turned her life into a celebration. What a happy dog she must be.
Also, here is some more resources and information about her disease http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
vet tech and pet mom