After injury care when parents are away

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
Odie's Mom

After injury care when parents are away

Post by Odie's Mom »

Hello,

5 days ago, my 6 months old kitten Odie was paralyzed from fall. She was in so much pain and terrible shape the first day that the two vets I asked suggested the 'injection' which I turned down. I brought her home and she is now making an amazing recovery (at least against my expectation). Although her appetite has not returned completely she is already moving around dragging her little feet and almost herself before the accident. The vet told me to confine her to rest but it is difficult. She gets mad at the diaper - I think because she thinks the diaper is stopping her from moving her legs. We will see the vet again on Monday (in two days).

But, in one week's time, I have to go on a trip that I can't cancel. The ticket has been bought and everything arranged. I will be away for almost 10 days while my husband also can;t take day off from his work. My husband loves Odie dearly but he can only attends to her at certain hours. He did promise to try to come back home during lunch hours to check on her or whenever his work schedule permits. Boarding is available at the vet's clinic but it is not at all a nice place even for a normal cat. Last time, I kept her there during a trip, they just put her in a cage and that's it. So we prefer to keep her in the home environment though she would basically be alone during the day (In any case, the boarding also did not offer much companionship. By the way, I currently live in Penang malaysia.

My question is "whether it is safe to leave her in the apartment alone and whether we should keep her in a cage instead for safety reasons? There will also be possibilities that her bladder and bowel not properly managed during that time so I wonder whether this will pose a critical health problems though at this time also I can't express her well, first due to her injury and second to my lack of experience.

I would very much appreciate your advice. Thanks so much in advance.
CarolC

Re: After injury care when parents are away

Post by CarolC »

I may not understand the whole picture, but going by what you say, I do not think I would diaper her. I'd get an extra large dog cage, or maybe a small bathroom, and put clean towels on the floor and let her stay there. That way she will not have to wear a diaper right now while she is newly injured, and she will not get herself into some kind of situation, such as climbing up on furniture where she can't get down or something. I think confining her is a good idea until she heals. If she is leaking urine, it sounds like she needs to have her bladder expressed at least twice a day, preferably 3 times. That is a technique where you squeeze her abdomen to cause her to urinate. It reduces the dribbling and helps prevent bladder infections. This is very important, nearly all paralyzed pets require this kind of bladder care. Most of us have trouble when we are learning to express. Your vet should show you how. Perhaps your husband could express her bladder, and give her clean towels every day while you are gone?

Here is some information about expressing, with videos at the end.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Express_a_dog_or_cat
Odie's Mom

Re: After injury care when parents are away

Post by Odie's Mom »

Hi Carol, thanks for the input. I was thinking the same; putting her in a large cage. I just came back from the vet. He said I should massage her gently to induce urinating as it turns out she also has a hernia and surgery can be complicated due to her injury. May be that;s the reason why she cried when I tried to express her bladder yesterday. Not an ideal situation also to practice my skill. I've taught my husband expressing but I'm afraid at the same time more harm is done. So I think I have to play by ear. So far she's managing well albeit her frustrations at not being able use her legs. I've stopped using diaper day time. Thank you again.