One week old kitten born with twisted back legs

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
Calderon7

One week old kitten born with twisted back legs

Post by Calderon7 »

I have a mommy who had 3 kittens and one was born with its back legs just extending straight back. They are otherwise normal and he can bend them in all the right spots. I am just wondering how do I help him fix the back legs so it can walk on them when the time comes. Right now it tries to use them, but the feet tend to drag and dont make it under the body like they should. It ends up moving on its ankles or just dragging the legs. Can I do something to help or will it correct itself over time like I have heard?
critters
Founding Member

Re: One week old kitten born with twisted back legs

Post by critters »

:whale: So the baby can bend them normally, and they aren't bent anywhere they shouldn't be?
Calderon7

Post by Calderon7 »

no they only bend at the normal joints, but they extend to the rear. It cant pull them all the way forward to walk on them. It reminds me of frog legs how they stretch.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Hmm. Odd, unless the baby has spina bifida or another sort of congenital spinal cord injury. Could you use a wheeled toy as a walking aid, or use something (even as simple as a piece of pantyhose) under the baby's belly to help build strength and balance?
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

twisty back legs seem to be my theme for the year.
I would suggest every day doing some gentle physical therapy with him. Bend the leg at the joints and move the legs as much as possible through walking motions. This will help build muscles correctly. It is slow work, but starting so young is a huge plus. I now have two hind-leg twisty kitties here. I am working on making braces to hold one's legs/feet in more usable positions. Butterbean's legs, well, they don't bend correctly but I'm doing what I can so he can at least move them.

your kitten will figure out a way to get around, and will still be a happy, playful kitten.
watch him carefully to see if he can pee/poo on his own, it seems this deformity often comes with incontinence, again it is manageable but just a little extra work.

see if this link works
http://www.youtube.com/user/bendykitty? ... ults_main

i have several videos of Butterbean and one of Black Cherry Whisniak on my you tube channel.

if the link doesn't work, you can go to you tube and search for "bendykitty"

glad you found us :)
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.