Paralysed cat – home nursing advice wanted

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
Mike802

Paralysed cat – home nursing advice wanted

Post by Mike802 »

Hi Community,

My kitten, Lola, was hit by a car of Friday the 29th of June and is now paralysed from the waist down due to spinal cord injury. The cat has had a CT scan and there is not break or disc damage only swelling. She has no feeling in her right leg, however deep pain response to the left leg and tail.

Our hope is that with time the swelling will go down and she will regain use of her legs. From my internet research it may or may not happen, however we want to give Lola the best chance so as of tomorrow we will be home nursing her. The vet is going to teach us how to express the bladder and we are going to set up a special nursing zone.

I am looking for any advice or assistance that may be of some use.

Thanks
CarolC

Re: Paralysed cat – home nursing advice wanted

Post by CarolC »

Hi Mike,

Good to hear you've got some encouraging signs. While you are waiting for her to come home, you might like to view some of the tips and videos on expressing. Here is a good place to start. (videos are listed at the end)

http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Express_a_dog_or_cat

:fireworks:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Make sure you also have a steroid, such as prednisone, when she comes home.
Mike802

Post by Mike802 »

I asked about prednisone, however the vets that we used said that the side affects out way the benefit.

Good news today is that Lola seems to have more sensation in her right leg, it now shakes and moves a little. We are hoping its a promising sign.

Thanks for the advice so far everyone.

Mike
Jean

Post by Jean »

Mike,
How is Lola doing since she is back home?
It is obvious that she is very special to you.
Our hope is that she recovers.
Almost everyone on this web site has a pet with a disability. A disability is not a death sentence as long as they have a consistent caregiver. Pets do not grieve what they have lost but they live in the present. Lola is just grateful for the time you spend with her.
Let us know how she is doing./Jean
Mike802

Post by Mike802 »

Hi Jean,

Thanks for your support.

We had to go away for the weekend and boarded Lola at our local vet over the weekend.

When we came home there has been what we think are some big improvements:

1) The vet said whilst they were expressing her she was showing signs of bladder control.
2) She has feeling in her right leg. Previously she only had deep pain sensation and it is shaking and moving slightly.
3) She is eating food voluntarily.

Her left leg is still showing no signs of recovery but all the other signs are great.
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

that sounds like fantastic recovery! Nerve recovery often takes months, and even a year or two later you can still see progress. She has only just started recovering and has come a long way.
Sounds like you have a very caring vet.

Our girl Mimosa had severe brain damage and slowly regained use of her various functions. It isn't teh same as your girl but might give you an idea as to how nerves can recover.
http://www.alittletlc.com/Mimosa.html

Wishing the best for your girl, please keep us all posted.
and WELCOME to the group!
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.