St. Bernard limping on front leg for over a month.

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
carendt0

St. Bernard limping on front leg for over a month.

Post by carendt0 »

Hello,
I haven't posted on here in a few years, but my Saint (Sophie) has been doing great! We moved to a new house and shes adjusted wonderfully! However, about a month ago she came inside and seemed to be limping on her front right leg. I assumed that she sprained it while digging in our yard (she likes to bury raw hides and dig them up). I gave her about a week to see if she would recover on her own and she didn't, so I had a family member take her to the vet for me while I was at work. The vet palpitated her leg and said that she thought it was a simple sprain and should heal in a week, if not to bring her back (she also mentioned that it could be arthritis since Sophie is almost 8). I personally don't think it would be arthritis since it was a sudden occurrence, but I started both her and my other dog on glucosamine chondroitin chews just to be sure.

Its been a little over a month now and Sophie's limping has gotten a little worse. It doesn't seem noticeably better or worse with rain or anything, it just seems like she has a hard time walking on it, and she cant really get comfortable, but she doesn't whine or cry or anything. I am just really worried that its something serious like lyme disease or something else. I really hope its just a sprain, something she will recover easily from.

Anyway, I decided to post this to see if anyone else out there has a similar experience and can shed some light for me!

Thank you.

PS- My husband said he saw her digging this morning in the flower bed so hopefully its a sprain and she just keeps re injuring it? I just don't want my vet to assume its that and not check for other possibilities.
CarolC

Re: St. Bernard limping on front leg for over a month.

Post by CarolC »

Great to see you again! :D I don't know, but it seems like if it's been going a month, maybe you would want to try an x-ray? If the x-ray looks OK, perhaps she needs some kind of anti-inflammatory for a while, like Rimadyl or whatever. I think glucosamine is great, but it does take several weeks before it has much effect, so you don't see results right away.