Cat splints, laser treatments and an update

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
Troopee

Cat splints, laser treatments and an update

Post by Troopee »

Hello again. I can't believe we haven't posted since Dec. 2012.
Troopee continues to drag one of his back legs. He is "knuckling" (the toes are turned under and his weight is on what should be the top of his paw) most of the time. Although, I do see him put the foot down normally sometimes.
He is getting low level laser treatments every month or two, when we can afford it. He likes them and walks better for a few days after each treatment. What do you think about laser treatments?
I am mostly concerned about wear on the top of his toes and am considering getting him a splint. I see the splints and booties for dogs here on handicapped pets. Where are the splints for cats? Our vet has not suggested splinting. Is this a bad idea? When and how have you used splints for nerve damaged kitty limbs?
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Re: Cat splints, laser treatments and an update

Post by BendyMom »

Hey Troopee

I am very sad that no one replied and helped you out. I actually haven't heard much about Trooper lately from you, how is he doing?
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.
Troopee

Post by Troopee »

Trooper is living up to his name. He pulls himself around with his front paws, goes up and down the stairs and has a veracious appetite. A lot of the time he maneuvers sidesaddle with both back legs to the outside of his front paws. I tend to stand him up on all 4 paws when he eats or is having a lot of trouble getting to where he is going.

We got a puppy training pad tray and cover the pad with litter, which has been a tremendous help for him. The regular litterbox is too high for him to get back out of when he goes in there. Mark wants to get another one for upstairs. Of course Little Dreamer and Butterscotch will use it as well. :lol: However, since I got out the throw rug for wet boots this winter, he thinks that is his personal litterpad. He is good enough to tell us when he has an "accident".

Troopee has started acupuncture, having undergone the detoxification treatment in late December. His first full treatment is scheduled for mid January.

I made him a sock and attached a shoe string to tie it around his hips. The first time he went up the steps it came off. There is no sign of sores or wear spots, so we are leaving him au natural.

We want to get him a wheelchair but the vet has not agreed to it, although she has a patient who makes them.

Because he stinks and walks funny LD and Butterscotch don't quite know what to make of Trooper and sometimes hiss and swat.
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

if i waited for my vets to agree to things, half my cats would be dead.
there are many resources for wheelchairs and no good reason you can't get one on your own and try it out. then if it works you say "hey, we tried out a wheelchair and he is happier!"

are you expressing him? that helps a LOT with the cleanliness issue I know he is a big guy and might protest but its worth trying. Did you ever figure out why his hind legs went out on him?

i know you really like your vet a lot, but sometimes a second opinion is a good thing. all vets have weak spots.

i'm glad he is still trooping!
how nice for him to have his own personnal pad! ;)

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

And, in my experience, MOST vets have a weak spot with regards to disabilities.

Personally, I'd try a homemade cart first, because cats don't usually want to deal with such things on a full-time basis. They typically want to do things their own way. :twisted:
Troopee

Post by Troopee »

You have a very good point Critters. In our eyes a cart would help him tremendously. But he might freak out to be strapped into something he can't get away from. Since cats spend most of their time laying down or sitting, I have been wondering how that would work.
Can I hear from someone with experience with a cat in a wheelchair or cart, please.
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

There is Blackie the Wheelchair cat on Facebook who seems quite happy with cart time.
there was Speedy the kitten who had a wheelchair made from lego-type things.
it all depends on the cat, i think.

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

In this video, Pookie has a cart but seems to prefer doing without.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdIBtw8_7No

In this post, Smokey loves his cart.
http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3327&p=15541&hilit=smokey+wheelchair#p15541 wrote: ooh when I put Smokey in the cart I had people tell me it was inhumane but they never saw how he lit up in the morning when he'd get strapped in and the screen door was opened, how he ran through the yard