Kitten w/ Radial Hypoplasia: Advice for wrapping limbs?

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
blue bends

Re: Kitten w/ Radial Hypoplasia: Advice for wrapping limbs?

Post by blue bends »

I agree totally about doing what feels right and what is in my ability to do. I've had great experiences with vets and I've had horrible experiences. I will trust my gut instincts and go from there.
I have been scouring the internet too for information which is how I came here. I know every animal's situation is different as well and I'm taking that into account.
I will look into this all much more over the next week and gather as much information as possible.
Again, thank you so much for the support- it means a lot.
Congratulations on finding a great home for the bengal and happy Thanksgiving!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

He has the most startlingly blue eyes. Beautiful!
BendyMom wrote:She told me once I"m her continuing education program.

Love it!
BendyMom wrote: MessyBeast.com has a lot of interesting information but they don't cite sources for their info.

Here is their RH page, which I've always liked because of the "bunny boxes" pictured down the page.
http://www.messybeast.com/moggycat/rh-cats.htm

I would suggest monitoring his heart as he grows, sometimes heart conditions can go with skeletal problems.
Here is a link to a post about Roo, and his webpage.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2769&p=12441 (his heart condition)
http://www.ouradoptionstories.com/roospage.html (his webpage)
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

I forgot to list supplies, got distracted...happens a lot.

optional hard splinting material like little craft sticks
rolled gauze, this is just basic rolled gauze, i get mine at the dollar tree.
vet wrap or Coban wrap (same stuff different brand). your vet can sell you some, sometimes pet stores have it or you can order it online. jefferspet.com is a great resource.
first aid tape, wide for the shoulder strap (like a half inch) and thinner for the stirrups and securing gauze (i usually just cut my wider stuff into thin strips as needed)
paper first aid tape can work too
lots of toe smoochies and ticklies

so far none of my twisties have had heart conditions but certainly there can be other issues with it and it often seems to. Bendy and crew had way too many toes, Bendlet and Bowtie are missing toes and Bowtie has other problems. I knw that Bendy was the result of horrible breeding, Bendlet and Bowtie came from a stray mama so who knows about them. Othermusculo skeletal problems are common, extr atoes, missing toes, tendon problems (too tight, too loose, missing). Bendy passed away from cystic kidney disease. Many cats with issues end up having touchy guts. my theory is watch EVERYTHING, get to know every little move and expression, and as soon s something looks a little off try and figure out why! you can catch a lot of thigns early that way.
My vet looked at me puzzled when he asked 'how did you know? and i said 'they tell you if you pay attention.
:D

heart issues are subtle in presentation! I have had (andhave currently) different kinds of heart cats. YOu can listen to his heart rate/beat so your ear gets accustomed to how he sounds. any kidn of irregular rhythym, or over 150 beats/minute is not good. over 200 beats a minute at rest is trouble. signs of heart problems are often wekaness, especially in teh hind limbs - feel teh paws to see if they are all warm is one clue, if htey are hyperhyperhyper it can be indicative of high blood pressure.

just get to know him, as i'm sure you will, and pounce on anything that doesn't seem right! :)
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.
blue bends

Post by blue bends »

Hmmm...something I posted didn't make it on here so I'll repeat:

Carol and Bendymom,

Thank so much again!
Carol I had come across Messybeast and Roo. Curly also loves to "lean", from the outside of the catbed he'll lean on it as if he is poolside.
Bendymom, I also just checked out Little Bear's Facebook page...incredible!
https://www.facebook.com/reformedlegs
But good god the $10,000 would be way WAY beyond my means. It seems like they had a lot of support and donations which is great and his recovery is astounding. His bends look like they are at the same angle as Curly's but it's possible Curly's forearms are shorter. It's so hard to tell from pictures of course, I will at least get the x-rays done as I know that will be useful to see exactly what is going on...if all the bones are there and formed, etc.
Again, my gratitude to you both for all this information!

-holly (& Curly)
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Your baby is bent, indeed! Personally, I think I'd try to help him learn to walk upright, like Faith. http://faiththedog.info/ The bent baby I had straightened out naturally, as she grew, but she was nowhere near as bent as your baby.
blue bends

Post by blue bends »

Update:

Hello all! I wanted to thank Bendymom, CarolC, critters and everyone else who gave great advice when I adopted my kitten Curly with Radial Hypoplasia.
As it turns out, his forearms were not just bent but they were underdeveloped also. After doing a lot of research and finding other caretakers with kittens/cats in similar predicaments I thankfully learned that these guys can live long and happy lives with their "differently abled" situations.

The most important thing is to make them comfortable and able to get around easily. I now have rugs/runners from running the length of my apartment. Curly has been getting a surprising amount of speed going chasing his brother Louie or running after his toys. The fur that had rubbed off his elbows when he was a very young kitten has grown back. His back legs are getting strong as I learned would happen from other caretakers. He can jump off of surfaces (not too high of course) and land on his feet quite well. He hasn't really been able to jump super high ONTO things but I feel in time as his strength increases this will happen.

Thanks again for the advice everyone!

Holly, Curly and Louie
Attachments
curls.JPG
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

Glad to hear the little guy is doing well!
He looks great. Would love for you to keep us updated on his antics and post picts of him. Yes, there are many differently configured critters (sorry critters) out there living happy lives! :)

thanks for posting again!

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
blue bends

Post by blue bends »

Thanks Bendymom!

You and everyone on this site provide invaluable advice and an awesome support system. It really helps speaking with people who have been through similar experiences.
Here are a few more pictures- Curly LOVES sleeping on his back, his favorite position. I'm sure it feels great to stretch out and relax this way as he is sort of in a hunched over position scurrying around on his elbows all day.
Attachments
sleep.jpg
blue bends

Post by blue bends »

Take Down!
That is Curly on top, tackling Louie. He can keep up and play with the best of them! And those back powerhouse legs come in handy.
Attachments
take down.jpg
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

What CUTE pics!!! :hearts:
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

the pict of him on his back is precious!!!!!
:):)

that's right curly, pin them down, don't let them steal your treats either!

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
Kimberlye

Post by Kimberlye »

So I know this was a long time ago but how did it work? I have a kitten with twisty legs.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: Kimberlye!!
blue bends

Post by blue bends »

Kimberlye wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:00 pm So I know this was a long time ago but how did it work? I have a kitten with twisty legs.
HI Kimberlye!

Wow this has been a long time since I was on this site ha! I'm happy to report my Radial Hypolasia guy is doing great! I think his name was originally Curly on this site but now we call him Squirrels because of his big fluffy tail. Basically he has adjusted really well to being "differently abled". He runs around, plays with his brother and lives the life of any other cat. I made a few minor adjustments by putting rug runners the length of my apartment because he slips a bit on floors. His back legs are really strong so he can jump up to sleep on chairs and beds. I just make sure he has "landing pads" in a few areas that are higher up but he certainly gets around just fine.

Here he is all grown up taking a nap with his brother. Congrats on your new addition to your home! Feel free to ask any questions!
Attachments
S&L.jpg
blue bends

Post by blue bends »

Kimberlye,

Just to clarify, you don't need to do anything to try and "fix" a cat with RH. I think there are varying degrees of cats/kittens with twisted legs and perhaps if they are very young and have their radial bones it's possible wrapping limbs may help in very mild cases? Squirrels case was not mild on top of missing his radial bone. Since I adopted him I have gotten into rescue/TNR here in Brooklyn and I have seen some amazing journeys of cats on Instagram. It is amazing how adaptable animals are to their situations. My advice would be to watch your kitten as he/she grows. They will let you know what they need. :)