Senior Golden Retriever w. joint problems

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
Winnie

Senior Golden Retriever w. joint problems

Post by Winnie »

Hi all !!

Posted this for a friend whose 12 yr old golden retriever Coco has had difficulty getting up these days.

She was at the vet's Saturday who has prescribed a 3 week course of Rimadyl.

If things improve, the vet suggested a kind of periodic injection that gives lubricating function to the joints. Called platocene or sth.

Would such injections have any adverse effects ?

Thanks heaps !!

Winnie
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Senior Golden Retriever w. joint problems

Post by Bobbie »

Not sure what injection you are referring to so can't really answer. Platocene does not come up in a search. Some do help, though.

There are a lot of supplements for joint problems. SAM-e is one I like, also glucosamine (my vet thinks it is better with MSM but I never saw any difference.) Some like fish oil. I'd probably try things like that for awhile.

Also, if the dog has any extra weight, take it off! It makes a huge difference in joint problems. Even three or four pounds can be a lot for some dogs. I've had a couple of corgis who limped when overweight and were fine when normal weight- the difference being only a few pounds.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Thanks for the tips Bobbie!!

Coco is on Ark Natural's "Joint Rescue" and the vet has also suggested omega 3.

http://www.arknaturals.com/joint-rescue

I don't know how much she weighs but she doesn't look too chubby :lol:

W
Attachments
Coco April 2014.jpg
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

My sister's old Golden x has the same problems, but he IS heavy. He's currently taking some of the supplement stuff, too.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

The injection is called pentosan. Anyone heard of it ?

Thanks !!
Winnie
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

btw, HELLO critters !!! You have helped me a lot a few years back when my then mutt was paralysed.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

OH!! You're THAT Winnie!! I didn't pay any attention to who I was replying to! :oops: Welcome back!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I think I found it in Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, 7th edition. Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium. It says in part:
Uses/Indications
Pentosan may be useful in treating osteoarthritis in dogs, cats and horses.
Pharmacology/Actions
Pentosan has disease-modifying effects on osteoarthritic joints similar to polysulfated glycosaminoglycans. It apparently modulates cytokine action, preserves preoteoglycan content and stimulates hyaluronic acid synthesis. Pentosan has antiinflammatory, hypolipidemic, anticoagulant (considerably weaker than heparin--1/15th) and fibinolytic properties. These effects potentially could increase synovial blood flow and reduce joint inflammation.
Adverse Effects
Pentosan is usually well tolerated. Adverse effects of pentosan in veterinary species appear to be mild and transitory in nature. In dogs, vomiting, anorexia, lethargy, or mild depression are possible.
Drug interactions
No specific drug interactions were located; use this drug cautiously with other drugs that can affect coagulation (e.g., NSAIDs, aspirin, heparin, etc.)