Senior Chow Chow with Newly Discovered Arthritis

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
feeohnuh

Senior Chow Chow with Newly Discovered Arthritis

Post by feeohnuh »

Our Chow Chow, who will be turning 10 in October, hasn't been able to use his hind right leg for the past week. His appetite also severely decreased, sometimes skipping meals.

We brought him to the vet two days ago, and after a couple of xrays, they came to the conclusion that he has arthritis in his knee and ankle. The bone has eroded, and there is nothing in between the bone joints, causing it to be very painful. They gave him two steroid injections to offset the pain for a couple of weeks, but he is still hopping around, unable to use his leg.

They said that we do not have many options, and that we can see an obstetrician, but I am not sure if my family can afford physical therapy. We are also looking into buying more omega 3 pills, which he loves. But what else can we do? It hurts to see your dog suffering.

critters
Founding Member

Re: Senior Chow Chow with Newly Discovered Arthritis

Post by critters »

What a handsome fella! :wub:

I think I'd want another opinion. It seems like there should be medical or surgical options, including fusing the joints to give him pain-free mobility. I expect that fusions would have their own problems, but I've heard of it done, even for spinal cord injury. I don't think I'd be ready to give up yet...

:whale: