Front leg issue

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
Nettotoo

Front leg issue

Post by Nettotoo »

I have an elderly (13) yr old lab mix with severe arthritis. Never thought I would entertain the idea of a wheelchair, but he seems healthy in every other aspect other than mobility. Most of the chairs I've looked at are for hind leg issues, although a few are what I'm looking for. I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing here. Any ideas?
critters
Founding Member

Re: Front leg issue

Post by critters »

:slant: Nettotoo (gee, that's a hard one to get right! :lol: ). So you're looking for a quad (4 wheels)?
Nettotoo

Post by Nettotoo »

I'm not sure what I'm looking for. His back end is strong, why would I need 4 wheels? This is all totally new to me!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Nettotoo wrote: Most of the chairs I've looked at are for hind leg issues, although a few are what I'm looking for.
That's what made me think you were looking for a quad, aside from the fact that many people with the elderly ones do.

If you were only looking for front, some people make front carts. There seems to be something problematic with them, though, because not many people use them; some use quads.
Nettotoo

Post by Nettotoo »

So what do you think best
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I don't have any experience with front carts, so I really can't say. You might reply to previous discussions about this to see if anybody will reply with updates.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

They make wheelchairs which give rear support but have additional front extensions to assist in front as well. They are not as confining as a full quad cart. You might check into something like that.

There is also at least one company making a counterbalanced cart, which is helpful if the dog is weak in front.

My choice (without really knowing your dog) would be to look at the counterbalanced or front extensions option first, a full quad cart second, and probably a front cart last because supposedly they are more difficult for the dog to learn to use. Also look at the carts in terms of your ability to get your dog in. I had to use an engine hoist to get my golden retriever into his quad cart because I was unable to lift him. I have instructions on that if you want to do it.

The best thing is to call a few major companies and describe the condition. The customer service people at those companies will be able to guide you to the right product for your dog. I've never heard of any cases where someone was just sold a cart by a major company for the sake of the sale, as far as I know they do try to get it right for your dog. If they didn't, I would think someone would have complained here by now.

Are you using any medication for him?
Nettotoo

Post by Nettotoo »

Thank you Carol so much for your input. He is currently on Rimadyl and two different Chinese herbs plus fish oil glucosamine etc. he has had a round of accupuncture that did nothing. I think that was totally useless. He seems fine in every other way other than this front leg limp. He goes up the stairs fine, going done is more difficult. But we used to walk several miles a day, and now he can barely get around the block! My vet says he has good muscle tone for a dog of his size and years. I am really baffled by this.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Do you think it's his knee, or did the vet know exactly where the pain is?

You might research adequan and ask your vet about it. It's been around a long time.

http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/care.cd.html#Arthritis
http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/care.fr.html

They make some nice front harnesses to assist your dog, I always like the look of this one (Canadian)

http://www.animalrehab.on.ca/supports/supports.php

or there are several choices here

http://www.handicappedpets.com/help-pets-walk.html

If he mainly has problems doing down the steps perhaps you could just put him in a plain nylon strapping chest harness (like from Wal-Mart of PetsMart) so you have something to hold onto as you walk down with him.

You might ask the vet if heat would help. They make veterinary heat packs like this

http://www.handicappedpets.com/rehab/sn ... ducts.html
Nettotoo

Post by Nettotoo »

Again thank you Carol you are very kind. I am going to look at all the links you posted, and you're right, that sling from Canada looks very promising.