Torn ACL both (one repaired but now Meniscus issue)-5yo Rott

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
dhenderson55

Torn ACL both (one repaired but now Meniscus issue)-5yo Rott

Post by dhenderson55 »

Not sure what to do .. could use some advice. We have an amazingly brilliant 5yr old male Rott/Pitt mix named Stymie. He looks like a skinny Rott at only 95lb but very tall and both knees bow. He tore his right ACL last year and had surgery. He was doing fairly well and vet says repair work still appears to be in tact, however, there's a "popping" sound now and believe it to be his meniscus. Prob doesn't help we have quite a few stairs in our house either. Sigh.

In the meantime, left ACL is now showing signs of tear but not sure we want to pursue surgery again. So we gave him 2 mos of Adequan shots 2x/wk to build up the cartilage to help the meniscus. Vet suggested we check into braces but I'd probably want to get one for both legs and at $675 per it's a little pricey to not know if it/they will work or not. Vet we go to is where my son's GF works and we like him but he admits smaller dogs are his main clientele so doesn't have the equipment (e.g. xrays) for large dogs or any firsthand opinion of certain braces. Stimey doesn't get much exercise now so I'm worried he's getting atrophied although he will actually walk on the treadmill (very slow and not long but I try to keep him from getting too stiff).

I'm in MO and the University of Columbia Vet School has an excellent reputation as a teaching college but the more complex appts and surgeries are done by a board certified vet. Columbia is an 1.5 away. So thinking i should just get a formal diagnosis from experts who are more familiar with large breeds then go from there. Maybe consider 2nd surgery (he's only 5.5yo). But takes so long to get an appt. Or do I keep doing Adequan shots, get a brace to see how it goes then get a 2nd if that works? Consider acupunture, massage or water therapy? Ugh, so many options, information, etc and would love to hear if anyone else has had a similar situation with a Rott or large breed. if so, what did you do and what worked or didn't work.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Torn ACL both (one repaired but now Meniscus issue)-5yo

Post by critters »

:whale: I'm really surprised about braces being that high; I expect you could get a Walkin' Wheels cart for about that price (and a single payment of that price, not twice--for each leg. I'd seriously consider that if it were me; you are likely to need a cart anyway, even temporarily, I'd think, even with surgery, for such a big boy.
dhenderson55

Post by dhenderson55 »

You have a good point. Just wish we didn't have so many stairs in the house but would be great for being more active outside. Thanks for your response. :)
Rayemond

Post by Rayemond »

Poor Stymie! Rotties and rottie crosses seem very prone to cruciate ligament disease :( Which surgery did he have?