Rescue Puppy Carries Rear Leg

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
CooperGug

Rescue Puppy Carries Rear Leg

Post by CooperGug »

Hi everyone. I am happy to say that my family just adopted a sweet (pit bull/boxer mix) puppy last week. A little back story on Cooper; he was picked up in LA as a stray at about 1 month old. He was brought to a high kill shelter, bounced around a bit, was rescued, fostered and is now with me. He is about 4 months old. He carries he left rear leg and it is smaller than the other three. He has been to many vets since he was first picked up and has had diagnoses from hip dislocation to patella subluxation to a genetic deformity. He is going to see my vet this week; so we will see what he has to say. He seems to get around fine, although his stamina is not very high. I take him on 2-3 short walks during the day trying to slowly strengthen him. I am worried about long term damage on his other limbs and potentially spine from his hopping. I don't want this sweet little boy to be in any pain. Anyone have any experience with a similar situation?

Thanks in advance!
critters
Founding Member

Re: Rescue Puppy Carries Rear Leg

Post by critters »

:whale: It's hard to say anything without a diagnosis. It could be a mishealed fracture, nerve damage, or any number of things, so we don't know if reparative surgery, a splint, or amputation might be called for. Has anybody done x-rays?

It's not all that common, I don't think, but I've seen 1 person use a cart (wheelchair) with a dog tripod. Splints (custom or standard) might be an option, as might amputation and a prosthesis. You definitely need more info, but hats off to y'all for taking a wonky baby! :trophy:
Ricthewrench 1776

Re: Rescue Puppy Carries Rear Leg

Post by Ricthewrench 1776 »

New to site, may get booted soon. I make wheelchairs for pets and give them away. Pintrest board has details. Not trying to cause an issue w/ commercial carts, I'm just a guy trying to help out furpeeps. Thanks