Playing with other dogs?

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
CooperGug

Playing with other dogs?

Post by CooperGug »

Not sure if this is the right area to post this...as I posted before, I have adopted a now 5 month old pittie mix who is lame on his back left leg. A very good friend of mine (who is often over) brings his adult pit over quite frequently. This dog is very social, plays with other dogs and is a real sweetheart. When our pup sees him, there is the typical puppy barking, tail wagging, they sniff and run around each other, and then my pup tries to jump up to play with the other dog.

My question is twofold: What are the chances of my friends dog picking up on my pup being different and 'not playing nice'? I am so afraid that my pup is going to get hurt. His balance is not the best, he is pretty clumsy. But I dont want my fears to travel down the leash to him. Its important that he know how to play and socialize with other dogs. That being said, we were attacked about two weeks ago by an unleashed dog who the owner assured me was fine - looked like an old black lab. Dogs sniffed each other, next thing I know this dog is lunging, snapping and growling at my pup. As I am typing this, I have realized that that encounter has left me a lot more shaken than it did my dog. Ugh...off to do more research i guess.
CarolC

Re: Playing with other dogs?

Post by CarolC »

Personally I would be in the "better safe than sorry" category. I do not like my disabled dog to have free play with any dog that is bigger than she is. Although that being said, she did go two rounds with a dog that outweighed her and she held her own, but I would not want it to happen again.

Here are two message threads about attacking the disabled. I'm not sure they give a final answer to your question, it's going to be a judgment call, but they may give you some things to think about.

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... lit=porkie (her German Shepherd attacked her disabled Samoyed out of the blue)

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... led#p22622 (mastiff attacked a wheelchair dog)
critters
Founding Member

Re: Playing with other dogs?

Post by critters »

But also remember that nondisabled dogs get eaten, too. My sister's Golden/Chow was torn up by a foster Golden right in his own house.