"Partial" saddle thrombosis

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
P-L Oliver

"Partial" saddle thrombosis

Post by P-L Oliver »

Thank you for reading this.....My kitty, abused rescue when he got him, has been loving and fine for 2.5 years with us - had a
''partial' saddle thrombosis (1 leg) 2 weeks ago. He is dragging his left back leg, at the knuckle, and since they do not callus, I know this will get bloody and bad for him. Does anyone at all have any thoughts about a splint for this leg?? I read on the forum from Toni, 2008 that he/she had a kitty recover and used a splint fashioning it w/aluminum foil, etc. If that person is still on, I would love some feedback. Our vet in the country does not have the empathy, interest or anything else to honestly deal with this - and we are 2+ hours from any other vet. He seems to be in no pain, uses his box very well and eats and drinks well. I love him to pieces, he is our boy, and would love thoughts from Toni or anyone for guidance on this one. Thank you so much for reading.
critters
Founding Member

Re: "Partial" saddle thrombosis

Post by critters »

:slant: You might try replying to that post you mentioned; if anybody has the post notification turned on they might reply.

We have used the HP front and rear splints, and I LOVE them! http://www.handicappedpets.com/all-pet- ... tml#splint You're very wise to consider splinting before skin breakdown or contractures occur; both are difficult to fix once they happen.
P-L Oliver

Post by P-L Oliver »

Thank you so much for replying. I shall try that re: the 2008 poster. Unfortunately, even in only 2 weeks, his fur has abraded a small amt., bare skin showing red and I 'know' it will only get worse unless something is done. I will look at the splints you recommend; again, thank you very much for your kind reply.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Those HP splints can be heated and adapted a bit, if necessary. They feel like really nice quality, and the foam lining feels comfy. They're also fully washable, which is especially important with a handicapper.
P-L Oliver

Post by P-L Oliver »

Thank you again for your kindness - I sent an email to them re: these splints and bootie so I hope for good news :) Thank you again,
P-L Oliver

Post by P-L Oliver »

Hi....this message is in answer to 'critter'.
I have just ordered a HP rear splint for our kitty. You had mentioned you had used these previously. Could I ask you the question...did you leave on at night, all the time, or remove at night? I know each animal is different, but any feedback from a prior user such as yourself would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance,

P-L Oliver
P-L Oliver

Post by P-L Oliver »

I am also terribly concerned about paw abrasion; it has started now with bare skin and no fur on paw. I have a splint coming, but want to do something for him before it gets terribly bad. Does anyone have any thoughts or used "liquid bandage for cats"?? He is biting any bandage I put on the back paw now, gets it off, and the area bleeds - possibly from his chewing it off. Please - if anyone has any immediate thoughts or help with this, I would be so very grateful. Thank you.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I would start slowly with the splint, and watch for sore spots. They can also be hot. I don't think I'd leave it on at night if he's just sleeping. The liquid bandage stuff is certainly worth a try, I'd say. You might also use vet wrap, but watch the tightness so it doesn't cut off circulation.
P-L Oliver

Post by P-L Oliver »

critters:

Thank you again for your generous reply; I read, after posting to you, that handicappedpets do not recommend keeping on the splint at night. I think, since the splint probably will not arrive until Monday, that I will try and find some liquid bandage in our rural area. I'll order some anyway just to have available. We do have carpeted floors for the most part so that has been helpful. He tears any and all bandages off with his teeth, causing the small abrasion to bleed; so, at this point, I'll just try to keep it dry as best we can ....he sleeps a great deal so that is helpful. If you, and the forum do not mind, I will most likely be writing after receiving the splint - asking for encouragement in getting this on our independant kitty! :thankyou:

P-Lynne
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Independent? I seem to recall critters could not find her kitty's splint one time, and it was buried under the litter in the litter box! :haha:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'd forgotten about that! :haha: