Pups hind feet appear to be clubbed?

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
ninjakelso

Pups hind feet appear to be clubbed?

Post by ninjakelso »

I took in a pregnant GSD mix and one of her pups hind feet appear to be clubbed. He can't use them to crawl, but does fine with the front two; should I worry? What are the treatment options?
critters
Founding Member

Re: Pups hind feet appear to be clubbed?

Post by critters »

:slant: Many, if not most, vets will tell you to amputate, and that's certainly a possibility. Prosthetics after amputation, and possibly orthotics without it, might be done, and amputation without prostheses (using a cart) is another possibility, as is using a cart (wheelchair) without amputation.

Personally, I'd wait and see what happens as the baby grows. The feet might straighten, largely or completely, but you can always amputate later, if necessary. 2 of mine are functional tripods, but both use the wonky arms for other purposes. For instance, your baby might be able to use the wonky feet to scratch his ears.

I would get the baby used to using wheels ASAP; depending on size, you can start off using wheeled toys, or you can easily make a little PVC cart. Walkin' Wheels, by Handicapped Pets, will probably be your best bet in the end, though, because you can adjust the sizes so much. http://www.handicappedpets.com/adjustab ... chair.html