Cat with ulnar nerve paralysis of front leg

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
rlspike

Cat with ulnar nerve paralysis of front leg

Post by rlspike »

Our 6 year old cat was out all night. When I found her in the morning, her left front leg was paralyzed. The vet said the ulnar nerve was hit so hard that it was damaged. An Xray showed no break in the bone. The vet says there is a slight chance the nerve will recover. Is there anything we can do to improve the chances of nerve regeneration? Anything to do to keep muscle tone? Thanks for any advice.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Cat with ulnar nerve paralysis of front leg

Post by critters »

:slant: Ah, been there, done that! I suggest a splint to hold the arm in the position of function while the nerve heals. I really like the HP ones. http://www.handicappedpets.com/walkin-front-splint If the nerve starts shooting off "funny feelings" while healing, Neurontin/gabapentin can be the answer. If using a splint, you need to watch for irritation from the splint, as well as biting, licking, etc. that might signify that the nerve is "sparking." In my experience, the "sparking" eventually disappears, but it can take awhile.

As for muscle tone, you can do some passive exercises, but it's a given that muscle tone will decrease. It should come back as the nerve does, though.
rlspike

Post by rlspike »

Thanks for the advice. I asked our vet about helping the nerve to regenerate and she suggested 6 laser treatments over two weeks. Anyone have experience with that? Also, Merck Pet Health book said if Homer's syndrome - one pupil smaller than the other, eyelid drooping - it is less likely that the nerve will regenerate. She has this. Any experience with this?
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

No exp with either. My Tristalyn's nerve just slowly started to recover.
rlspike

Post by rlspike »

How long did it take her nerve to recover? How did you know it was recovering?
Mocha is not using the litter box. She wet on herself yesterday. She seems confused and sad and keeps hiding under the bed. She has eaten very little, mostly treats.
rlspike

Post by rlspike »

Also, any advice about the splint? How to get her to accept it? How often to wear it?
rlspike

Post by rlspike »

Doing a little better now. She used the litter box when we put her in it and came to the regular food dish to eat. She is hiding someplace again; I don't know where. Thanks for any advice on helping her in this very beginning time.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

It took months, although I don't remember how many any more. She slowly started moving her arm more and more along, starting toward her shoulder and moving down to her hand. Eventually she started turning her hand right instead of walking on it any old way it landed.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

As for how long, I would start with as much as she'll tolerate (which is probably not much) then slowly extend it to all day.
rlspike

Post by rlspike »

Thank you.