Pressure sores and Spina Bifida

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
Jean

Pressure sores and Spina Bifida

Post by Jean »

I have several cats with spina bifida. Several of them walk flat footed. But,Tiger my orange fellow is the only one that has problems with pressure sores on the balls of his feet due to abnormal weight bearing. Last week he even took a huge bite out of his foot. Now he is receiving laser therapy but they are not healing. He has never been allowed to run the house due to pressure sores. He is kept in a soft sided pen. The sores cover half of the bottoms of his feet and he is on 2 different antibiotics. Does anyone have any suggestions for preventing and treating the pressure sores? Any and all responses are greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
CarolC

Re: Pressure sores and Spina Bifida

Post by CarolC »

Hi Jean,

All I know may not be much help. When I was watching for sores on my bunny, I learned that synthetic fabrics are harder on skin than natural fibers, so for example a nylon carpet might seem soft but cotton would really be better. I have heard of closing sores surgically if needed, however I know you still have the issue of him walking on his feet. Attached is a photo of Fripple who needed a shoe to protect one foot. Maybe that would be a possibility. I hope you can find something that will help.

Fripple's mom was named Susan Mangano, I don't know if maybe you could find her on Facebook or something?
Fripple4.png
Fripple2.png
Fripple3.jpg
Fripple3.png
GSDLover

Post by GSDLover »

I healed grade 4 pressure sores on a dog that had survived distemper. They were on each hip. I did it in 6 weeks. What are you doing at home to treat them?
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Koi's splints helped his skin finally heal up because of his contractures made him walk on parts that weren't meant to be walked on.