Muscle strength excercises & safe confinement when alone

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
Kimbra

Muscle strength excercises & safe confinement when alone

Post by Kimbra »

Good morning.... I'm very happy to have found this forum ! There are obviously many, many loving "pet parents" of handicapped pets out there ! I have a 16 year old pit bull, Patch, who has pretty significant arthritis and who has recently suffered from "additional" sprain injuries ... the first injury was to his right front leg and then, as luck would have it a few weeks later (as he was improvement with that injury), he sustained another sprain to his left rear leg. These injuries have caused him to not be able to "get around" without assistance. He is too unsteady on his feet and if he loses balance and falls, can sustain additional injuries. So over the past 4 weeks since his last injury, I have had to make arrangements for virtual 24-hour "oversight" of him.

Currently I am doing range of motion exercises and acupuncture. I'd love any suggestions for muscle strengthening exercises. We do not have a facility in our area that offers water therapy. Does anyone have any information on "at home" tricks of the trade for creating water therapy for a 50 ish pound dog? ... or any other muscle strengthening therapies ?

I am a single "pet parent" and for these past 4 weeks have had the assistance of good friends to help "attend" him when I have to leave him. (Fortunately, I am able to do a lot of my work from home and so can be with him most of the time.) But, his recuperation is taking longer than I had hoped and my friends can not continue to help me much longer. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to safely confine a dog of his size that will significantly reduce his ability to "move about"?? Again, he does have partial mobility, but with his instability could hurt himself if he lost his footing and fell....

Many thanks in advance,

Kim
CarolC

Re: Muscle strength excercises & safe confinement when alone

Post by CarolC »

Hi Kimbra,

:banner:

Wow, 16 is amazing for a large dog, that is so good. :trophy: There are a couple of web links that have been on the web for a long time, basically because they have stood the test of time. They might be a little helpful.

http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/care.cd.html#Arthritis
http://www.marvistavet.com/physical-the ... tients.pml

You did not say how much he weighs, but if you are able, assisted walking with a full support type of harness might be helpful. I would think just enough to get his circulation going, he probably does not need to do a lot. The other option is a quad cart, which is a 4-wheel wheelchair. That would enable him to be in a normal standing postion, although they do not provide a lot of freedom of movement in a dog that is quite senior (he would not be able to really run or probably even walk much in it without you giving him a helping hand). If you can assist him with a harness and no cart, I would probably go that way, but it depends on your own physical ability. There are quite a few different options of harnesses. For full support, here are examples of good ones. These can all be left on. (It can be inconvenient getting a harness on and off a dog every time you want to lift.)

http://www.handicappedpets.com/how-to-c ... and-slings (look at the last one called Heavy Duty Support)
http://helpemup.com/
http://www.hartmanharness.com/

Do you have slippery floors? I think the modern trend of tile and laminate flooring can leave older dogs at a disadvantage. Some kinds of tile have more texture than others. As you say, it is risky for them to slip, which happens more easily when they are older. It also makes it hard for them to get up from lying down. There are a number of options. My choice is rugs, rugs that stay put and do not slide around. The 3 x 5 indoor-outdoor entry mats work very well. Some people have used carpet runners. Any rug that will stay in place would probably help. I have seen room size (like 8 x 10 or whatever) inexpensive carpets at WalMart.

If you want to confine him for safety during the day, one option is a small room (the laundry room or bathroom) equipped for his comfort. If you don't have something like that, then an x-pen might be the way to go. Critters often recommends those foam puzzle tiles, I think they would give him a comfortable place to lie with some blankets and his water while you are out. There is one member here who installed some kind of Nest Cam where she could monitor her dog via the Internet, and she works nearby. That's a great option if you are able.

In my experience, there is a stage where they can still get up but they don't stay on their feet for long. Wherever their energy gives out, that is where they topple over. If you have tile floors or some other hard surface, the dog is left lying on it until you come home. Some dogs like lying on a hard floor, but if your dog has thinning hindquarters and his hip bones stick out a little, he won't be comfortable and could get a pressure sore, especially if he keeps scrambling to try to get up. I think your idea of confining him is very smart. I had carpet in most of the house but the kitchen was hardwood, so I got the kind of rugs I described above. I'll attach a photo. In my experience, this stage of being able to get up and go a little ways before collapsing will not last long. I think for my dog it was only weeks before he really couldn't get up at all.

The other thing you can start to see is your dog may lose control of bathroom functions when making an effort to get up, and that is not his fault. If you get to that point, let me know, there are good ways to handle that.
:angel:
Merlin_malewrap_straps.jpg
Merlin_17Mar09.JPG
Kimbra

Post by Kimbra »

Hi Carol.... thanks for all of the information, bless your heart ! I'll read through it all much more thoroughly later tonight when I have some more time.

Indeed, I know 16 is a ripe old age for a big dog (Patch is about 50 lbs). I do feel blessed that Patch has lived such a long life! He was my beloved mother's beloved dog so he is extra special to me. He's been with me now for almost 9 years. I do keep Patch on carpeted area for mobility issues. My concern about "leaving him alone" is that sometimes when he "goes down", his legs don't "go in the right place" and I'm afraid that he'll further injure himself if I (or someone) isn't there to help get him squared away. But, as I've been watching him this morning, he does seem to be "figuring that out" much better... So, I think he'll be fine to start leaving in a "safe" carpeted and padded area, for at least short timeframes, sometime soon.

I do currently have a mobility aid harness, but it only provides "minimal" support and assistance, so I'll definitely check into the info you sent on those. And Patch is on various meds, but I'll look into the additional info you provided regarding that.

What I really would like to provide Patch with is some "hydrotherapy" , but we do not have any places in my area for that. What I was hoping was that someone on this forum might be able to provide tips on how to provide "affordable", "at home" water therapy.... For small dogs you can simply put them in a bath tub or buy a little cheap "kiddie pool" and go to it !! But with larger dogs, it's not that easy.... :( So again, any "tricks of the trade" for large dog hydrotherapy out there ?? ;)

Again, thanks sooooo much for all the info !!

My best, Kim & Patch
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I'm not sure, you'd probably have to measure him, but I would think a 30" pool might be enough to let him swim? You have to figure if you are able to lift him in and out. They sell all sizes of doggy life vests if you think he needs one.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=swimming%20pool

Is there a doggy day care or doggy camp that might have a pool they would let you use for a price?

Joe had a beagle named Murphy and there was no canine PT where he lived but there was a horse hospital that let his dog swim in the horse rehab pool.

A lake or pond is another option, and would be a lot of fun for the dog. :D Not sure where you live or what the temperatures are like right now. Here is a good example if you see the video in Doc_Moore_J's post

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... 777#p61777

Here is another one. I realize he is having some issues in front and back unlike this dog, but it shows the idea of the pond or lake. You might be able to get your dog to the water in a red wagon or something like that. I tried a red wagon with my senior dog and he didn't want to stay in it, but another member had a Malamute named Crazybear that stayed is the wagon nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsijVY9HPc4

EDIT TO ADD: Pond only if its clean
Kimbra

Post by Kimbra »

...once again, thanks for the info and suggestions !!!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Ollie's is also good for cheap, bound carpet rems.

As for swimming, maybe a cheap above-ground pool would be an answer? You might have to have somebody put stairs or something on it, though.