All four legs twisted on cat

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
sweetnc

All four legs twisted on cat

Post by sweetnc »

I recently adopted a 2 year old cat with all four legs twisted. He gets around on his elbows and his back legs tucked under him which causes sores on his ankles. Im having a hard time finding information on his condition. Most that i find is cats that a two front twisted or two back twisted. But any suggestion where i can find information to give Nash the best life he can have would be great. Also any suggestions on if a wheelchair would be best or put to much pressure on his elbows. Our vet has never seen a cat like Nash. But he is my boy and i will do all i can to give him the best. Thank you for reading
sweetnc

Re: All four legs twisted on cat

Post by sweetnc »

I have checked online about drag bags and socks for Nash's back legs and also found a cat name Waston that has twisted front legs that has protective support for front legs. Really want to help Nash. Just looking for any suggestions or advice that anyone has tried that may help
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: Wow! You're probably in new territory here, and you'll probably have to try stuff and invent it as you go along. Custom splints and/or protection is possible, if you can't find other stuff that works. ALL of them are different, but Nash is more different than most. :D My Koi boy had contractures in his foot because of a spinal cord injury, so we tried standard shoes, custom shoes, standard splints, custom splints, surgery...all to try to prevent skin breakdown.
pdgal

Post by pdgal »

sweetnc wrote:I have checked online about drag bags and socks for Nash's back legs and also found a cat name Waston that has twisted front legs that has protective support for front legs. Really want to help Nash. Just looking for any suggestions or advice that anyone has tried that may help
Wow, even working at a shelter I haven't seen this case before either. Bless you for giving Nash a loving home!
sweetnc

Post by sweetnc »

Thank you for your comment. Nash teaches me everyday to never let life struggles in the way. I smile just watching him. Nash is a blessing and i will do whatever i can to give him all he needs to live a long healthy life.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Please excuse this post, it seems to be a little bit of everything. :lol: It would be great if you could post a photo?

I don't know if this suggestion will work but it might be worth a try. Sometimes if you crate a pet for a while until the sores heal up, then let them resume activity, they are better. You know how it is when you get something banged up and then you don't give it a chance to heal and it keeps re-opening or gets worse. Maybe that is what is going on with him. He is not paralyzed, but paralyzed pets will sometimes get sores from dragging, and really the best thing is just to restrict activity till it heals up, then let them resume activity. Without seeing him, I don't know, maybe he is just so active that he's going to have issues like this.

A lot of pets develop calluses. I guess I am a little surprised he doesn't have calluses. I adopted a kitty who walked on her elbows/forearms, but she was OK, however she was not overly active, maybe your cat is more active. What I'm trying to say is, maybe he was out on a rough surface or in sharp grass or on gravel or in a cement kennel at animal control or something and got abrasions that have not healed. Maybe if you crate him with limited walking and on soft clean towels, those spots will heal, then give him a fresh start and see how he does. Sometimes putting them on an antibiotic will help sores clear up better.

You might want to think about your surfaces? I had a mini-Rex rabbit, and learned that rabbits have delicate skin. I learned that synthetic carpets are harder on the skin than natural fibers like cotton.

Is he able to reach his boo-boo's to groom them? There are products like Nu-skin, I don't know if anything like that would help. You might ask the vet if there is anything like that suitable for veterinary purposes. It needs to be safe if he licks it.

The one thing I learned with my kitty (which is true of both animals and humans) is that if you see skeletal deformities, you will want to monitor the heart. Often the genetic condition affecting the growth of the bones will also affect the heart.

If you happen to have a super mellow cat, they do make Surgi-Sox to protect skin areas, here is an example. Not that he would need to wear it all the time, but maybe when he is trying to heal a spot?

https://www.dogleggs.com/surgi-sox-tors ... -leggings/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Egree-Cat-Pajam ... 2145784271
kenedy

Post by kenedy »

You've done great job.well done.
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.