Kittens Leg

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
MommaHog

Kittens Leg

Post by MommaHog »

Alright guys,
So my husband came home with a kitten today his coworkers wife found in the driveway. Its Friday, & of course our local vet doesn't open until Monday, we are also pretty rural so we are two hours away from an emergency vet.
I dont know the age of the kitten, but it does eat soft food fine. Here's my problem. She came home with a splint, 'bc of a limp', however my husband removed it to look & the leg isn't broken. Its seems to not hurt her at all. There is a small, almost scabbed over wound of some kind on her leg. I guess what I'm asking, is could it be paralyzed? It flops & she steps on it while attempting to walk. It just falls when you lift it. Other than being a bit malnourished, she seems healthy and in good spirits. Any ideas to get her through to Monday?
CarolC

Re: Kittens Leg

Post by CarolC »

Is this a front leg or a hind leg? It's hard to know if it's paralyzed. Flopping could also be an issue with the hip, but I would think that would hurt. If she has a radial nerve injury, Critters has a lot of experience with that, so I hope you will post back with what the vet says Monday. Interesting that she is not in any pain, that kind of makes a recent injury seem less likely. If Monday is the earliest, I would put her in a crate with a litter box and food and water and maybe some kind of bedding she will not catch her claws on. Normally I'd give her a blanket, but in this case maybe a quantity of torn up newspaper would work better?

:banner:
MommaHog

Post by MommaHog »

I'm sorry, I meant to add its the front, right. & thank you for your input! We have her in a small closet tonight with her litter, food, water & something to lay on. Will get a crate out from the attic tomorrow!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: Flopping could also be from a fracture. Is it bending somewhere it shouldn't?

How is the baby now?