Kitten nerve damage hind leg

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
Funnyface_family

Kitten nerve damage hind leg

Post by Funnyface_family »

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. A little about me first: I live in Saudi Arabia in a small town called Rabigh. Back in May a pregnant kitty adopted my husband and I for her new home. She gave birth under our stairs in July and has become family. We call her funny face because she is an Arabian Mau and when she first came to us we face was her distinguishing feature. A tiny little head with very big ears! Anyway she had 5 little bundles of joy, 1 boy and 4 girls! They are 6 months old now. We have since had them all vaccinated and mummy has been spayed, the boy neutered and now 1 of the girls was spayed Thursday evening. It's very difficult to get them appointments with a vet as the nearest vet is 2 hours away by car and we don't have a car! We have been lucky enough to find a vet that will make house calls and he operates on them on our dining table. Not the most ideal of situations but we are in the middle of no where here! Anyway as I Said, fluffy, one of the female kittens was spayed on Thursday evening. All seemed to go ok but come Friday when she started walking around I noticed she was walking with one flat hind leg. I contacted the vet via messaging and he says that it's likely nerve damage, that the needle used to anaesthize her or the anti inflammatory or something touched a nerve. He can't come to see her for a few days. We can't use a different vet as beggars can't be choosers as they say. So my question is, how long does it take for something like this to recover? I noticed that today (saturday) she is starting to use her toe to walk on however every time she does it still collapses on a flat leg (at the hock). I hope I've explained everything ok. Thank you so much!
Funnyface_family

Re: Kitten nerve damage hind leg

Post by Funnyface_family »

Update on fluffy. She is still trying to use her toes but her hock collapses. I've also noticed today that her foot is starting to turn outwards a little when she walks. It isn't stopping her from doing anything she normally does. I believe she is emptying her bladder Ok. She uses the litter tray the same as normal. The vet is coming back on Friday to check her and says that he may give her some medicine. Does anyone know what meds this may be and is there anything that can help other than time? I am also doing passive range of motion exercises with her a couple of times a day. She enjoys this and goes all Zen with Me! Please can someone reply with any info at all! Thanks
critters
Founding Member

Re: Kitten nerve damage hind leg

Post by critters »

:whale: Chances are the baby will be OK, but it'll take time. The med they're talking about MAY be prednisone or the like, which isn't a bad idea in case the lameness is coming from a bit of spinal cord injury. I expect that the vet's right that something has upset the nerve, which is usually a much milder kind of thing. I would watch that the limb does not contract into a weird position or that the walking funny doesn't cause skin breakdown. You have already started seeing the nerve improve, so I'd expect it to continue to do so. I had a little girl with radial (arm) nerve damage from being hit by a car, and she got better in several months.