Need advice for large rear paralyzed dog

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
UlieJay

Need advice for large rear paralyzed dog

Post by UlieJay »

So our 6 year old dog (like a pitbull mix?) recently became unable to support herself with her hind legs and we've already gotten her a HP wheelchair (she loves it) and several Help 'em Up harnesses which have been very helpful carrying her around the house.
But the problem is when she's not in her wheelchair and she wants to move around the house on her own she always drags herself in a sitting position and always leaning to her left side. I try to not have her move around like that a lot but I can't supervise her 24/7.
Even before her paralysis she's pretty boney for a dog and no matter how much we feed her her hip bones are always showing and because of that when she drags herself on the ground even for a short distance she scrapes the hip bone next to her tail pretty badly and I just want some advice on how to protect that area from further damage without covering her rear end too much since she's become incontinent since paralyzation.
I was thinking of just strapping her butt to a furniture moving pad but I don't think they make one large enough for her butt... any advice from large dog owners (50-70 lbs) would be very helpful thank you!
CarolC

Re: Need advice for large rear paralyzed dog

Post by CarolC »

This is a really good description of the problem. This is one of the reasons the drag bag was invented. I checked and it looks like they come in a large size. You could probably call and ask for the actual measurements if you're not sure it will fit.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/walkin-drag-bag/

Some people have also put clothing on their dog. Here is a post by Rajah's Mom. Rajah was 117 lbs if I remember correctly, and they put kid's pajamas on her.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1627&p=6545&hilit= ... amas#p6545

My recommendation would be a diaper just for simplicity. I know she is incontinent, but if you have a diaper with a good sized tail hole, the fabric will protect her hip and any solid waste will fall out the tail hole as it should. I would recommend denim diapers for good protection, but another option is the more expensive diapers by Pooch Pants that also work well. I have used both kinds. The denim diapers are just plain denim and you have to put a Poise pad inside to catch urine, but they help prevent abrasions and the tail hole is pretty large. The Pooch Pants diapers come with absorbent filling and therefore they were thicker overall (added protection from abrasion), and the fabric is smooth synthetic so they drag easily, but the tail hole is smaller so you would have to see if it is big enough. Fitting diapers on a dog can be like fitting jeans on a human, we're all different shapes and one brand does not fit all. Check whether they are returnable and you may want to put a panty liner inside when testing for fit.

http://www.poochpad.com/podianddiwr.html

In my experience, it works for the dog to wear a diaper when out playing. I would really recommend when you are not home, that she could be crated or kept in a small x-pen to prevent dragging around. An x-pen is easier for large dogs and you can set it up anywhere, like inside the sliding patio door so she can see out. It will keep her from dragging around and getting a boo-boo. If she can lie on soft bath towels or something cotton, that is best. I know she would be happier running around the house, but these sores can be a real problem and you are right to be concerned about protecting her.

The idea of a furniture pad might work. If it does, please post a picture because that will help other people. :photo: You would just want to be very sure she is not dribbling urine onto the pad and kind of sitting or lying in it. Rug burns or "road rash" from dragging are one thing, but a urine burn is harder to deal with. If she stays dry, you might even be able to put the furniture pad inside a drag bag and it might stay nicely in place.

I hope this helps. My big dog who went down was male and he wore malewraps and didn't drag, but I've had two smaller dogs that needed protection from dragging and I know just what you are talking about.

One more idea. I don't know how well it would stay in place, you'd have to test it, but someone used a bra to protect their dog's hips. If you scroll down this thread you will see a photo.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=13152
critters
Founding Member

Re: Need advice for large rear paralyzed dog

Post by critters »

:whale: Those are all of my thoughts, too.