Car accident and puppy paralysis

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
beasleyk5

Car accident and puppy paralysis

Post by beasleyk5 »

A few days ago our puppy was hit by a car and now has frontal paralysis and drags his front leg. The leg has road rash on it where he was thrown across the asphalt. He licks the wounds and my question is do you think he has any feeling whatsoever in that leg if he continues to lick his wound? The vet wasn't very optimistic that he would recover his damaged nerves. I also looked into starting massage therapy on him asap. I found a great website that details what to do for cases like his. He is also on Gabapentin. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. We definitely want to try everything before we look into amputation.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Car accident and puppy paralysis

Post by critters »

:whale: Ah, yes, I had a little girl that happened to as a kitten, and, with time, she regained her arm just perfectly. Do you know about splints? I really like the ones here at HP, and they hold the limb in the position of function until the nerve heals. It took months for Tristalyn.
beasleyk5

Post by beasleyk5 »

Thank you. I have looked into the small bootie style splints and actually just ordered one. IT seems the most logical step to keep the foot in a more normal position rather than it being drug across the ground when he walks.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I've never used the bootie splints myself, so let us know how it works for this. I've played with the bigger "front" and "back" splints. I don't think anybody's ever reported on the boot-style, and there are a bunch of cats and dogs here at the board in a similar "boat." :thankyou:

And, yes, holding the limb in the position of function is a good thing. Just keep a close eye out for sore spots under the splint. The big splints can be altered a bit, but I don't know about "bootie" ones.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

In the newsletter a couple of weeks ago there was a new product, which is self-adhesive foam you can put in the splints. I watched the video and it looks like it would really work. The only thing it didn't say is what happens if you get it wet. Does it stay stuck, and how long does it take to dry? Because your pet wouldn't be able to wear it with wet foam inside (I don't think). They used to have waterproof protectors like you put over a cast. I don't know if they still have those. Right now, the grass here is soaking wet (not complaining, we needed the rain!). :D

https://www.handicappedpets.com/walkin- ... -fit-foam/
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I wouldn't use a wet splint, either, but if the foam cells are closed, I'd think a splint would dry very quickly. Besides, if the splint's wet, chances are the hair and/or skin would be, too.