Unknown breed of duck with leg problems

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
food&friends14590

Unknown breed of duck with leg problems

Post by food&friends14590 »

We bought 6 ducklings August 2 and all looked to be healthy. Within 1 week one of the ducklings' legs were bowed. I looked online and saw that it might be rickets so we made sure they all had good food and we gave additional vitamins to the one duckling with the leg issue. We also encouraged swimming (we cannot put much water in because we're afraid it will drown) with discouraging results. At this time Peeps the duckling is growing at pace with its siblings but cannot be with them because we're afraid it (we don't know gender yet) will be trampled by the able bodied others. Peeps' legs are now doubled over but still have good color and blood circulation. We are aware that there may be no "cure" for the issue but would like to make our friend more comfortable. Is there a way to pad the leg joint so it won't get sores as it hobbles around? We are also looking for housing options as it is in a plastic bin in the house at night and a cage in the grass during the day. We live in Upstate NY and know the outside time will not be possible much longer. We don't want to destroy this duck, we have had several other animals who were disabled, and don't have a lot of money (I just lost my job) so any suggestions or advice would be most appreciated.
CarolC

Re: Unknown breed of duck with leg problems

Post by CarolC »

This sounds a little like Sebastian, whose photo is shown on the Birds forum of this message board. If you are on Facebook you can contact Sebastian's mom through her Facebook group, there is a Send A Message link.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Ducks-with- ... e_internal

:welcome: