chihuahua-loose kneecap

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
ratterhorn

chihuahua-loose kneecap

Post by ratterhorn »

Hi,
I have a 3 pound chihuahua that has a loose kneecap, and she recently jumped from too high exacerbating the issue. Which means that now she seems weak in both legs and possibly her haunch. I started looking online for plans to build/buy a chair for her back legs, but she would need to be able to poop and pea comfortably from it, and i haven't come across a chair with that as a specification. I'm also considering a patella brace. Which are the best?
JJ
CarolC

Re: chihuahua-loose kneecap

Post by CarolC »

Hi,

She should be able to poo and pee in any of the major brand wheelchairs. I think the main concern would be getting one small enough and light enough for her.

I think it would be reasonable to ask the companies to send you a picture of the saddle with no dog in it, if there is not one on the website. It is hard to see the saddle when all the pictures show a dog in the cart.

Here are some FAQs from several brands that make a wheelchair for a 3-lb dog. The saddles are different but they are all advertised to work for pottying.
Walkin' Wheels
"Can my pet pee and poop in the dog wheelchair?"

Yes, that's the point of the wheelchair -- to help your dog get the exercise he needs and to do his business.
Doggon' Wheels
Will my pet be able to urinate/defecate while in its wheelchair?

Yes! Our saddle support system is designed to allow your pet to urinate and defecate while in the wheelchair or when used separately.
K9 Carts
Can my pet go to the bathroom while in the cart?

Absolutely. Pets, both male and female, can urinate and defecate while in a K9 Cart. The support system is designed to allow pets to urinate and defecate freely while in the cart. The support system is flexible and pets will have the sensation of squatting down while still being supported by the cart. The leg ring support system is even adjustable, so you can adjust the gap given for elimination to take place.
:group:
critters
Founding Member

Re: chihuahua-loose kneecap

Post by critters »

:welcome: