My Biever Terrier had an FCE

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
Christelle

My Biever Terrier had an FCE

Post by Christelle »

Hi all, my Biewer Terrier had a dramatic FCE in Feb of this year. He was operated on to clear the bloodclots and remove pieces of his ruptured disc. He spent 3 weeks in hospital and has since had 10 sessions of PT and hydrotherapy. He can run although his right back leg still has some weakness - walking is almost totally normal. My question is how do I reintroduce him into normal life within the household? Up to know he has been in a pet pin (2m x 2m) with sessions off leash outside. I am scared that he would want to jump onto and off the sofa and re-injure himself? Looking forward to your valued advice :D
CarolC

Re: My Biever Terrier had an FCE

Post by CarolC »

:group:

It would be nice if you could just keep him in a protective bubble, wouldn't it?

Here are some ideas from Dodgerslist. The first idea is how to make furniture blockers so he won't even be tempted to jump on the furniture.

http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/protectbackblocker.htm

The second link shows other ideas, such as ramps, or a large pillow which leaves no room for the dog to jump up. (Of course the dog may go up a ramp and then jump off the chair afterward rather than walking down the ramp, so that is something to consider.)

http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/protectback.htm

One family here literally turned their sofa over to keep the dog off.

Hope this helps! :D
Christelle

Post by Christelle »

Thank you so much!!! Will definitely try them!!!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: