Other: OsteoChondritis and Arthritis

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
Melissa

Other: OsteoChondritis and Arthritis

Post by Melissa »

My 2 1/2 year old Mastiff has OCD and the beginnings of arthritis. The X-rays showed a "bone mouse" from his left knee which will need surgery. He is a stil very much a puppy and is much to young to have such things, we were not very educated when buying him from a breeder (Puppy mill! Flying W Farms, never returned emails about the OCD when it was first diagnosed at 4 months old) Anyway, He is very large and is responding wonderfully to his pain medication and will be beginning physical therapy. So my question is, he will eventually have more bone chips due to the OCD, and I would like to get him a doggie wheelchair, just to get him used to it, so he can move freely as this disease progresses, but when looking at all the sites for chairsI've noticed none mention OCD. I just want to keep him as comfortable as possible for as long as I can, does anyone else have a dog with OCD? And can you tell me how your dog has faired with it, and if the dog wheelchairs worked for that disease?
Christy Mullady

Re: Other: OsteoChondritis and Arthritis *LINK*

Post by Christy Mullady »

Melissa, is the problem in his back leg? If so, it sounds as if a wheelchair will help down the road - this according to what WheelChairsForDogs site states: "A wheelchair may be in order for your dog if it is suffering from degenerative myelopathy, hip dysplasia, disk or cervical disease, ruptured disc, spinal disorders, or any other problem that affects its hind legs."

Has your vet told you what to do with him and how much activity he should be getting? From reading some of the material here, it seems that they should rest and stay off the limb so it can heal in order to minimize further deterioration, but you should talk to your vet about that.

The material here says that the disease, when it involves the 'mice' will most assuredly bring on the arthritis that you say he already has. I'm glad to hear that he's responding to his medication, but a pup who wants to be active is hard to keep still, so sounds like your work's cut out for you!

Do you have any Canine Rehab centers near you? If not there are some rehab techniques that seem to help OCD/Arthritic animals (both two and four legged). According to Top Dog Health: Rehabilitation and Fitness site - "Common conditions which benefit from rehabilitation are arthritis, hip and elbow dysplasia, intervertebral disk disease, wound healing, luxated patella, disk degeneration, fibrocartilagenous emboli, degenerative myelopathy, wobblers syndrome, discospondylosis, joint injuries, tendonitis and bursitis, and soft tissue injuries. Post Surgical procedures such as arthrodesis, cruciate ligament tear, fracture repair, amputation, hip surgery, OCD, Post-laminectomies will aslo benefit, as well as surgical complications including non weight bearing, loss of range of motion, and decreased neurological function."

The Rehab includes warm water therapy, swimming, ultra sound, electrical stimulation - much the same as any of us with severe disk/spine problems recommend. I have what is called a TENS unit that I can wear at my leisure that delivers electrical stimulation that works for breaking up spasms. Perhaps your vet could set you up with one for your dog.

Handicapped Pets is a wonderful group and I'm sure you'll receive some great advise and answers, but there's also a group called: Orthodogs: "Discussions include but are not limited to hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia (ED, UAP, FMCP), osteochondritis dessicans (OCD), cruciate ligament injuries, patellar luxation, arthritis, DJD, panosteitis, spinal conditions/injuries and osteosarcoma."

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/orthodogs/

You might want to visit these sites for some further information. Hope they help you out.

http://devinefarm.net/rp/rpelb2.htm (for Mastiffs and other large breeds)

http://www.doglogic.com/ocddef.htm "OCD Definition" (I know YOU know what this is, but some others of us might not...it's a site that might lend you ideas though.)

http://www.newfdogclub.org/Health/Healt ... _3_ocd.htm "Dr. Smeak feels that the larger the flap or joint mice and the more involved with a weight-bering area, the worse the prognosis. Dr. Tobias feels that neither the surgical approach nor the age at the time of surgery affects the prognosis. Most all of the experts agree that regardless of the treatment chosen, secondary degenerative joint disease will eventually occur in the OCD affected joint. This happens because as the OCD heals or is surgically removed, the original hyaline cartilage is replaced by fiboral cartilage, which is not as good as the original. This will break down and cause arthritis. Dr. Mostosky says that arthritis may not be detected on an x-ray after the OCD has healed, but it will show up in a dog at seven or eight years of age. The arthritis normally can be treated with exercise modification and pain control medication as the dog ages. General consensus of opinion is that OCD need not affect the life span of our Newfoundlands or their desirability as pets."

Magical Lethal White Australian Shepherds
Melissa

Re: Other: OsteoChondritis and Arthritis

Post by Melissa »

Thanks for the response, we're beginning water therapy next week, before he has the surgery to remove the "bone mouse" Since it is Bi-Lateral it will be only a matter of time before both of his hind legs are affected. I think I will get him a chair now, so he an get used to it, and begin to use it when we go on walks, his hips and joints can't take the pavement well.
I do have a TENS unit for myslef, so I will as the PT if he thinks we should try it.
Thanks for all the info! Wish us luck!
Christy Mullady

Re: Other: OsteoChondritis and Arthritis

Post by Christy Mullady »

The very best to you both, Melissa! I sure hope everything comes out ok with him. Arthritis is bad enough in people - and we can communicate degree of pain - can't imagine how he must fee. Keep us posted. Take care.