Ordering a splint

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
Betsy

Ordering a splint

Post by Betsy »

I am ordering a hock splint for my Rottweiler. I want to order it for Monday delivery as his bad hock is causing him to walk irregularly and it is now creating some sores on his foot pads. My vet has said that surgery will not help him partly because he is 9 years old I imagine. However, I want to keep him mobile as long as possible. His measurements for A and B are just between the large and x-large size. I plan to order the larger one today unless someone tells me that is a mistake. It seems that I could put some bandage on his foot if the larger one was too large, but there would be little I could do if it is too small. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks! What a wonderful site! We are located in the Orlando area and I am wondering about any rehab clinics in central florida as well.

Betsy
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Ordering a splint

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I had a front splint for St.Jude that he refused to wear... I even put a knee sock over it to keep it on, as well as tape and whatnot over the velcro. Dang, he would not wear it. So he runs and frolics on a leg with an unnatural shape (shotgun blast exploded both bones) which worries me, but doesn't faze him in the least.
Is it your boy's hind leg? If so the hind leg ought to be a whole lot easier. If it is too large, as you say, put padding in there, like surgical cotton. It is such a great thing to be able to give them mobility and he'll enjoy the freedom of being able to get around.
You can google for rehabs, I would imagine in the large cities, like Orlando there would be some available. Not yet in Beaufort County, SC...
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/