Need quick advise

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
melfrog

Need quick advise

Post by melfrog »

I have a 1 1/2 year old Yellow Lab. Suddenly Today, He is acting like he is injured. He is shaking and will barely walk. He is cowering down like as if someone beat him. He was left alone in his back yard for about 8 hrs. This is normal for him and there is nothing for him to injure himself on. When I came home, there was a sudden change in him. There is no sign of injury. No fever. He dosnt yelp when you examine him or when he moves. He just dosnt want to get up or walk. He seems to be in pain in his hind area. But I cant see anything wrong. He is still drinking water and eating. Only if you bring it to him.
Does anyone have any ideas what could suddenly be wrong??

Thanks for any advice. I am afraid Im going to have to take him to the vet.
Cindidoxiemom

Re: Need quick advise

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

We can give you all the advice in the world hon..but your dog is in pain and NEEDS to be seen by a Vet ASAP!
Can he move his legs?
Is he using the bathroom ok?
Have you moved him inside and into a crate or confined area?

If this was my pupper...I would be in my car on the way to the emergency vet. You can't just let him sit there in pain. If nothing else get some pain medication from your vet.
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Yes, I would take him to the vet. Since he seems to be painful in the rear, I would be careful getting him into and out of the car. If someone in your family can lift him in and out instead of expecting him to climb in and hop out, that would be best.

When something sort of like that happened to my golden retriever, they gave him a pain injection that made him fall asleep on the emergency brake on the way home and I could not lift him out of the car when we finally got home at 2AM. If someone can go with you, that would be best.

Please update when you know more. If the vet puts him on crate rest, we have tips on that.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I don't want to alarm you but AmbrrNanaDog (who is very emotional, and will get like that when the thunder booms) was acting 'punk' a couple of years ago. I took her to doc to make sure she was feeling alright, figuring it was her emotions...) and she was in kidney failure. You just never know. Doc never did figure out what happened, she was young and healthy. So she spent night in hospital and came home with a suitcase of pills. Trust your instinct and get him to doc. Labs are precious!
Let us know what doc says, please ...
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
melfrog

Post by melfrog »

Thank You all for your responses. We figured out what was wrong, thanks to our next door neighbor. My poor baby was being chased/attacked by blue birds, while I was away from home. My next door neighbor had the same problem with her dog.
Today he is back to his old self. He never had a problem eating/drinking or going to the bathroom. He wasnt in pain that I could see, He wouldnt wimper or yelp when he walked or was examined. He just didnt want to get up. He made me bring his food/water to him.
I believe he was just scared and upset. He is more a lover than a fighter. And he has never been trained to hunt birds. But I think I might be reconsidering that now....
I will be keeping an eye out, just incase. If he shows any sign that something might still be wrong, than I will be taking him to the vet.
Thanks agian.
Dohnny

Post by Dohnny »

I would treat this like a back injury.
It is difficult for us owners to visually pinpoint the difficulties.

My big dog acted much the same when he became injured.
Your vet needs to examine him, and you will want to keep him as quite as possible to avoid further injury…

Dohnny