2 week old kitten not using hind legs

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
dexnleilaOH

2 week old kitten not using hind legs

Post by dexnleilaOH »

Hi!
I am a former poster to the old boards, we adopted Sam the beagle from a rescue we were fostering her for, she has a paralytic bladder and bowel. Maybe some of you will remember us! Here's the link to Sam's page! http://www.handicappedpets.com/gallery/ ... /index.htm

I am currently fostering a cat and her litter of 5 kittens. The kittens will be 2 weeks old on Wednesday.
Some of the kittens take after mom- they are bobtails. Kitten number 2- who we have named Oliver- is not using his hind legs to walk as much as his siblings are. He is a bobtail. He can push off of my hand with his feet if I place them on the palm of my hand. I just noticed he is not using them to walk as well as his siblings, although at 2 weeks old they are still kind of wobbling along thenselves.
Should we take Oliver to the vet, wait and see if this is something he will outgrow???? I'm kind of stuck here because the rescue we are fostering for is not a great help with financial issues, nor anything else. We will have to pay the vet ourselves and eventually be reimbursed by the rescue.
Any advice or tales of previous experience much appreciated!!
Last edited by dexnleilaOH on Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He is your friend, your defender, your partner, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." -Unknown
critters
Founding Member

Re: 2 week old kitten not using hind legs

Post by critters »

Since he's a bobtail, he might have a variation of Manx Syndrome. I think you'd do well to have the baby checked out to make sure he can poop and pee OK.

He's gotta be a cutie!! Don't forget to post pics!!
dexnleilaOH

Post by dexnleilaOH »

Here's his picture...
I still think he is a she.

I'll get a better view of him later!!!
Here's mama and the rest of the crew...
He is your friend, your defender, your partner, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." -Unknown
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Well they sure are precious. I think ya might want to go ahead and let the vet take a quick look at her. Like critters said you want to make sure all the internal things are working ok.

Sam looks fabulous...thank God you love her like you do. My Oscar is paralyzed with now bowel or bladder control, and I just can't imagaine my life without him. Nose kiss for Sam!

Hugs,
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
mumpkees

Post by mumpkees »

Bless you for caring for Sam! And thank you for fostering this mom and her adorable wee ones.

While it is possible that it might be Manx syndrome, it could also be CH (cerebellar hypoplasia). It could also just be that this kitten was the last kitten conceived by the mother and as such could be almost a week 'younger' in development than the others in the litter because first kittens were conceived at beginning of mother's heat. Since a cat can be in heat for close to ten days, this little guy may have been conceived as much as ten days later than his litter mates. So even though all are born at same time, in his 'development' he could be younger and just need a little time to catch up.

Is he completely tailless with a 'thumb print' where the base of his tail would be? If so he could have Manx Syndrome, but this is actually fairly rare for random cat matings. Manx Syndrome is usually from the breeding of two completely tailless Manx and most breeders are very careful to not allow this to happen.

I'd watch to see that mom is indeed caring for his 'potty' and that the baby is able to get to mom and nurse with the others. If so, I'd give him a little more time before taking him to vet. Of course if he isn't eating and/or mom isn't caring for his potty, then I would certainly get him to the vet directly.

He is a cutie for sure! /mari
/mari
Spiritcat and the Mooseheart Mumpkees of southeastern Texas
dexnleilaOH

Post by dexnleilaOH »

The kitten has a little stub of a tail. Here's a pic.

Also a random cute picture of the kittens, for everyone's enjoyment!

He is nursing without any problems. Isabelle is a wonderful mom. She takes great care of all the kittens. I keep a close eye on the little guy to make sure he's not being kicked to the curb!
It's fun having this litter of kittens. Unfortunately Sam is the one dog out of our 3 who definitely does not like cats! So I don't think we could even keep one. I could try again with her but she already tried to bite one of the kittens. Big meanie!!
She is a great little dog. She is definitely my heart dog, I am so glad she came here as an "overnight foster."
mumpkees

Post by mumpkees »

I seriously doubt that the kitten has 'manx syndrome' with that much tail. Those who have spina bifida and/or MS will have no tail and actually have an indentation like a thumb print where their tails should be. If anything, the kitten 'may' be a cerebellar hypoplasia (CH) but at only two weeks I'd not be looking at that so much as just slower development.

It sounds like both mother (and you) are keeping a good close eye on the little one and her siblings and all look healthy and robust. If when they actually get all the way up on those tiny little legs and she just doesn't seem to be catching on - lagging behind, toppling over more than her siblings, then quite possibly she has CH. Was the birth normal without complications for all the kittens?

I don't know if you are familiar with CH, but if not, it is not a death sentence and CH kittens don't get worse - as they learn to adapt and compensate you will actually think they are getting better. There is a yahoo group devoted to CH kittens and cats and there are several here that have CH kittens so she will find a loving home.

Do keep us posted on her progress. She's just too cute! /mari
/mari
Spiritcat and the Mooseheart Mumpkees of southeastern Texas
dexnleilaOH

Post by dexnleilaOH »

I was unfortunately at work when Izzy had the kittens. My 15 and 11 year old were here and stayed with her the whole time. No problems that I am aware of. They called me every time she had a kitten and explained what they looked like, if they were breathing okay, and if they were nursing. The day after she had the kittens I was on vacation for 10 days. Go figure!!
I guess I'll keep watching this little one. They are the cutest things I have ever seen. I've never seen kittens this little, it's going to be fun watching them grow!