Help for 10 year old Boxer

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
Shami's Aunt

Help for 10 year old Boxer

Post by Shami's Aunt »

Hi

I'm Shami's Aunt. Shami is a boxer who was once a showdog who has won many blue ribbons. My sister acquired Shami when her daughter's ex-boyfrend's mother was going to put her to sleep because she could not "get along" with the other dogs and attacked people, (a crock of crap, she's the most lovable thing in the world) My belief and along with my sister was the fact that Shami could not pop out more puppies so the woman could make money off of them $1,000 a pup. My sister took her in and she is sweet, lovable, wants to be right on your lap, kind of dog. Shami has nerve damage in her hind quarters and displaysia. I'm worried because her hind quarters are getting worse. She's not ready to go. She see's me and goes crazy wagging her tail and trying to tell me, "go for a ride, Auntie?"

My sister tries use reverse doggy psychology because Shami's
gets sad and frustrated because she can't get down the stairs and will whine my sister pretends that the dog has no problems and say's let's go, let's go now for a ride, now." Which works, but Shami stumbles down the stairs. She's not in any pain and is so happy to see me, she even tries to talk. She'll do anything to get my attention.

She's a bit overweight, and that could be worsening the situation. I told my sister maybe cut back on the treats, but she wants Shami to be happy.

I bought a hind quarter life, but I don't think it's strong enough. Would I be able to buy another one here?

What else could we do, she's not suffering, she's such a happy couch potato, she's my baby. I've never seen a more loving dog.

Any advice appreciated
Antoinette
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Help for 10 year old Boxer

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Welcome Shami's Loving Aunt...
Yes, any dog with any joint, bone or other problems, you MUST watch their weight religiously. She is doing Shami no favors, not only that, but constant treats can be rough on the stomach. Shami needs a good work up, especially since she's been poppin' pups all this time. Large dogs are susceptible to hip displisplacure and other joint ailments. She can be made VERY comfortable very simply if it is a simple diagnosis, but you need a diagnosis. And a diet. Have you clicked up top for the products pages, there are a ton of wonderful clever walking aids.
Can you borrow Shami for awhile? Tell sis you want her checked out and that will be your birthday present (or whatever) to Shami. Come back with a written list of dos and don'ts and a diagnosis....
My Jude was hit by a car as a young pup. Both hips fractured, front leg shattered with high calibre gun. I watch his weight very closely and his kibble fluctuates daily based on my visuals.
LET US KNOW What sis decides!
WELCOME AND CONGRATULATIONS TO SHAMI FOR FINDING HER FURREVER FAMILY! :)
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
CarolC

Re: Help for 10 year old Boxer

Post by CarolC »

Shami's Aunt wrote:I bought a hind quarter life, but I don't think it's strong enough. Would I be able to buy another one here?
Hi Antoinette,

Which brand did you buy? Was it the rear end support leash (aka Bottoms Up Leash) or something else? It's unusual for someone to say it isn't strong enough, I don't think I've ever heard that before.

Here is a link to harnesses--many people like the rear harness.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/Mobility ... arness.htm

I got a Hartman harness for my dog. Here is that link:

http://www.hartmanharness.com

I'm curious which one you have. :)