Please read and advise. Amputee Cat w/ Radial Nerve Paralysi

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
LuvMyCats

Please read and advise. Amputee Cat w/ Radial Nerve Paralysi

Post by LuvMyCats »

I am the proud owner of 4 very lovable cats. 3 out of the 4 are feral cats my husband and I rescued. Now we have a 5th kitty with some very serious issues.

She is approximately 5 to 6 months old. She is a feral cat but very sweet and loves the human touch. We had been feeding her and found her a home. When the person that was going to take her went to get her she was gone. She had gone missing for a week. When she came back, her rear, right leg was broken beyond repair and infected and we acted immediately. It had to be amputated. It appears that she may have paralysis of the radial nerve that is affecting her right front leg. She has handled the amputation very well. It is the front right leg that I am extremely concerned about. The vet wanted to put her to sleep because of the front right leg but we really want to give her the opportunity for a good life with us and our family of critters.

Is it possible that the nerve will repair itself or could a splint be used? I am desperate to know what all can be done to help her.
Diana R.

Re: Please read and advise. Amputee Cat w/ Radial Nerve Para

Post by Diana R. »

I am not sure how she is being affected. I assume muscle weakness and sensory loss in the forearm. I have a cat named Raven that I adopted from the shelter---she supposedly was feral. They were going to euthanize her after she caught her arm in the cage door and must have pulled and pulled so hard that her front leg went floppy and she was dragging it. I believe she injured the nerves to her brachial plexus. My vet removed the bandage that the other vet had put on. It was a few months later that she regained full use of her front leg. Please give her time and I assume you are keeping her indoors so she can heal. But she very well may regain use of leg. Diana R.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Yes, the nerve may repair itself, but you might want to consider a splint because healing can take months. http://www.handicappedpets.com/splints/ tends to be highly recommended.
LuvMyCats

Post by LuvMyCats »

Thank you for the reply. The front right leg just kind of flops. I will definitely try the splint. All of my cats are indoor cats and this one will not be any different. She has touched our hearts and we plan on taking care of her to the best of our ability. I pray that the nerve will repair itself.

Thanx again for the reply. Take care.
LuvMyCats

Post by LuvMyCats »

Thank you for the reply. I will check out the link and see what they have to help our little kitty. We were thinking of naming her Lucky. She surely would have died if she had not returned. I am so glad that I came across this site. It makes me feel more at ease about the situation.

Thanx again. Take Care.