cart for overweight Sheltie

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
casber2

cart for overweight Sheltie

Post by casber2 »

I have an overweight Shetland Sheepdog (about 54 lbs. but is about the size of a Cocker Spaniel) that can't use his back legs. His front legs are also weak. Since Bernie is very laidback and we didn't know if he would even use one, we made a cart to try before we ordered one. All he will do is sit in it...nothing else no matter how much we try to bribe him. His seat is duckcloth that is figure eight shaped with holes for his legs. We have support under his chest and behind his front legs too. We were thinking about trying a sling for his back legs but were concerned it wouldn't support him enough or would cut into him because of his weight. Has anyone used the sling without any problems?We need to get him to use a cart at least to go potty so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Diane and Bernie too!
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: cart for overweight Sheltie

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Welcome! I can't speak to the cart but for the sling, there are a couple of ideas. You can pick up fleece fabric at discount store, and cushion by either padding the harness, or wrapping his belly loosely. Also there is foam you could put under the fabric. YOu can pick up a cube of foam at discount store as well...
I'll start thinking on it.
There will be folks along shortly who have very successfully used carts...
WELCOME!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
GC

Post by GC »

I also have a 12 year old Sheltie who weighs just about the same as yours. I have to tell you that I felt like I was alone in this. He has the same problem, Hip Dysplasia, and I have had him on medication and Glycosimine, etc. Nothing seems to help. I do give him a buffered asprin every day, my vet suggested it. Just yesterday I found this column and am so happy to find I'm not alone. This is my 2nd Sheltie and the other one had to be put down at age 13. It breaks my heart to see this again. Please let me know how you make out with the cart if you do get one. I am retired and find this a very big expense but if it works for you I may find a way to get one.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Carts don't have to be expensive; there are several lower-cost manufacturers and homemade options as well. Welcome!
GC

Post by GC »

Could you give me the names of some of the manufacturers? My dog is still able to go outside and walk around a little. We have a handicapped ramp for him built and he finally uses it but only after showing him a million times how to go down the ramp. Before I had to carry him down 4 stairs. We may even try to build the cart ourselves. He's a funny guy and I know it will take some prodding to get him to use it but it's so worth a try. Thanks so much for your help.
Jane Scott

Post by Jane Scott »

Hello and Welcome; Just a real quick note (I'm at work!) but I'm sure you will get more responses to your questions soon however, in the meantime you can find lots of information on this website. If you are on the Discussion Areas page you will see some drop-down menus ie. Products Page for carts, All Services for links and resources, by opening them you can find lots of info. This is where we learned how to express our dog Harley and where we found plans for making our own cart.
Best of luck. Jane
Harley the "Monkey-boy"
FYI

Post by FYI »

GC wrote:Could you give me the names of some of the manufacturers?
http://dogstogo.net

http://www.tailwagon.com/